VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I saw someone selling some old hardware really cheap online. They did only cost 6 euros, so I decided to take a risk. I only know that there is a 486 motherboard and some isa cards, but I don't know anything else about them based on the low res picture that seller had posted.
Now that I have bought them, I have been trying to figure out what did I exactly buy.

Here is the low res picture that the seller had posted:

bb819a03d392989112ef50c13c040-orig.jpg
Filename
bb819a03d392989112ef50c13c040-orig.jpg
File size
367.11 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I know most of you probably have more experience with old hardware, so if any of you recognizes this motherboard or any of the cards based on this picture, I would appreciate it.

Reply 1 of 16, by peklop

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

COR333 is a Sony at-bus CD-ROM interface card.
Big 8-bit car is a CD-ROM controller too.

16-bit card is a Netware compatible 10 mbit ethernet card.

Reply 2 of 16, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The top right and bottom left cards look like CD-ROM controller cards, the top left seems to be a serial/printer IO card and the bottom right looks like a modem.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 6 of 16, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lazibayer wrote:

The mobo has socket 3 so it may support pentium overdrive.

The socket on the picture looks like the socket 2...
http://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Socket_1-3_Motherboards

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 7 of 16, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After going through pictures online. I think I might have found the motherboard: http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/D/DT … -PKM-0037S.html
I have 486dx-33Mhz and 486dx2-80Mhz. It does not seem like that motherboard goes up to 80Mhz, but at least I will be able to put the 33Mhz cpu in it.

Reply 8 of 16, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote:

After going through pictures online. I think I might have found the motherboard: http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/D/DT … -PKM-0037S.html
I have 486dx-33Mhz and 486dx2-80Mhz. It does not seem like that motherboard goes up to 80Mhz, but at least I will be able to put the 33Mhz cpu in it.

If it doesn't do 40Mhz bus speed, you can always put the DX2-80 in it and it will just run at 66Mhz.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 16, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

thanks. The reason I bought that so quickly was that my old 486 motherboard died recently without any warning and all the ebay prices for 486 motherboards were so high that I was willing to risk 6 euros not knowing if that motherboard will work or not.

Reply 10 of 16, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, to be true, for me 6 euros is a great deal in every way, I would put that money just for the CPU for my pre-Pentium collection.

Reply 11 of 16, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just received what I bought. Here is a picture of the motherboard. Looks like a very clean 486 motherboard to me. Cpu is 33Mhz and I just need to remove the battery.

20170606_170712.jpg
Filename
20170606_170712.jpg
File size
4.71 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 12 of 16, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

and of course there is some nasty corrosion under the battery...
Well, what can you expect from a motherboard that only cost 6 euros. Still disappointed.

20170606_174516.jpg
Filename
20170606_174516.jpg
File size
3.26 MiB
Views
File license

Edit: I checked things out with a multimeter. Surprisingly it seems that both of those corroded connections are still connected to the keyboard port. Unless I checked out something wrong.

Reply 13 of 16, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a question: All my other motherboards only have 1 tag chip slot, but this motherboard seems to have a 2 slots for tag chips. In what situations you need 2 tag chips? If I have a set of 8 cache chips of total 256Kb cache and those came with only 1 tag chip, is there any chance for them to work with this motherboard?

Reply 14 of 16, by Erik765

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If the board requires two, you'll need to use two.

You can try with just one, as this certainly wouldn't harm anything, but I doubt it will work.

It's not uncommon for a board to require two tags depending on the board.

Reply 15 of 16, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The corrosion isn't too bad, actually! 😀

Good to hear that your multimeter check was positive, but you still want to neutralize the corroded areas with some vinegar. You may also want to desolder the keyboard connector for scrubbage/investigation/replacement as needed. I wouldn't be stingy with the area you work. I can see a little bit of corrosion on some IC legs and battery pin header as well from the photo. Obligatory rinse/get dry/etc... after you are finished.

Congrats on your board.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 16 of 16, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Erik765 wrote:

If the board requires two, you'll need to use two.

You can try with just one, as this certainly wouldn't harm anything, but I doubt it will work.

It's not uncommon for a board to require two tags depending on the board.

Only thing is that the motherboard only comes with 4 32Kb cache chips and 1 32Kb tag chip even if the motherboard manual here http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/D/DT … -PKM-0037S.html basically doesn't seem to have any options where any of the cache or tag chip slots are empty.