VOGONS

First post, by bergqvistjl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got my hands on a Gigabyte GA-6VTXE with a 1.4Ghz Tualatin PIII-S.

Unfortunately, the only cooling fans I have that will fit over my CoolerMaster heatsink (I tried the Artic Cooling Copper Silent 2 TC but sadly it wouldn't fit properly due to the position of the caps on the mobo close to the CPU Socket) are very noisy, and so i'm trying to run without a fan on the heatsink. My case has a chassis fan below the PSU and behind the CPU heatsink (in approximately the position as shown on this picture): 61GyUAXdfzL._SL1000_.jpg Which i'm using. However should I have that fan as in intake or exhaust? Also, what is a recommended/safe temperature? On startup (With the chassis fan as an Intake, plugged into the CPU fan header - to stop the BIOS from complaining about the missing CPU fan) the BIOS hardware monitor was showing the the CPU between 45-50 Celsius (on a hot day).

Reply 1 of 13, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Just get a heatsink that fits. They don't cost much at all.

Here is one for 3$
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Socket-370-cpu-fan-/162 … 6%257Ciid%253A3

Not the best heatsink but just a reference.

That being said why not try the two and find witch works best? Also keep an eye on your PSU temperature when sucking air in the back.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-06-03, 16:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 13, by Gatewayuser200

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The best thing to do would be to buy a heat sink that actually fits (or a fan for the heatsink you're trying to use passively).

If you're the crafty type you could keep the rear fan as exhaust and make a duct out of corrugated plastic or cardboard to force the the fan to suck air up from around the passive heatsink. If you google "Dell Dimension 2350" and find an internal picture that's what I mean.

Just make sure the heatsink you're trying to use passively has somewhat wide fin spacing.

"network down, IP packets delivered via UPS" - BOFH
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

Reply 3 of 13, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

If you really want to go passive zalman made a bit copper heat sink for sk370 I forgot the name but it was one of these flower heat sinks.

Reply 4 of 13, by Gatewayuser200

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Jade Falcon wrote:

If you really want to go passive zalman made a bit copper heat sink for sk370 I forgot the name but it was one of these flower heat sinks.

If you're talking about the Zalman CNPS3100, those are not designed for passive use and still rely and a large low RPM fan pointed directly at it.

"network down, IP packets delivered via UPS" - BOFH
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

Reply 5 of 13, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you don't want a fan on the heatsink the best thing to do would be to introduce airflow into the case. Use an intake fan at the bottom near the psu and an exhaust fan on the back. Just be sure to not put the PC on carpet and make sure there is enough clearance underneath it to pull in air.

EDIT on a second look I realized your PSU is up at the top, can you post pictures with both fan ports so I can get a better idea how airflow would work in that chassis? If you only have the one fan spot passive cooling will not be enough to keep your CPU cool.

"Never pay more than 20 dollars for a computer game" - Guybrush Threepwood

Reply 6 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's a picure at http://www.overclock.net/t/1336501/fan-air-flow-disruptions
It shows the air flow inside of a PC. Esentially, the fans at the front side are intake and the fans at the (upper) rear are exhaust.
This unburdens the PSU from exthausting all the heat on its own (which is both good and bad; the PSU requires a bit of the
air flow for its own purpose. Anyway, a little bit of cool or medium tempered air flowing through the PSU is better than lots of hot air ;) ).

airflow_classic.gif
Filename
airflow_classic.gif
File size
3.93 KiB
Views
File comment
Air flow in a classic PC.
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 13, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Gatewayuser200 wrote:
[…]
Show full quote

Jade Falcon wrote:

If you're talking about the Zalman CNPS3100, those are not designed for passive use and still rely and a large low RPM fan pointed directly at it.

Yes that's one of the two. Its alright for socket 7 and most 370 CPU's provided you have good case flow.
I had one on a overclocked AMD k6-3+ and it did fine.
Its socket A CPU's that need the 80mm fan, I'm sure a stock Piii without overclocking would be fine.

Reply 8 of 13, by bergqvistjl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I've tried another socket 370 cooler and it's just as loud 😒 Maybe the bearings in the fans are going because of age? Anyway, without a CPU fan, I'm hitting 55 Celsius under load, and with the latest fan I've tried, it was 47 Celsius under load.

Reply 9 of 13, by bergqvistjl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I bought a Noctua 6x6mm fan and that runs at half the speed of the previous fan (which was 6000RPM - no wonder it was so noisy!), so that's the noise issue sorted. But just to clarify, should both my CPU fan (the Noctua) and the larger case fan at the back be on Intake, or Exhaust? My Case fan is on Exhaust and my CPU fan is on intake. Which should it be?

Reply 10 of 13, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bergqvistjl wrote:

My Case fan is on Exhaust and my CPU fan is on intake. Which should it be?

That's how I do it. I'm not big on too many fans--I never use a front intake fan and rarely use side fans, just the rear exhaust + PSU exhaust. I always have cpu fan blowing towards the cpu.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 11 of 13, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A single heatsink fan would always be set to blow into the heatsink, as the air stirred by the fan will cool better and pass deeper than the lazy flow of air sucked in.

Ideally. if the heatsink can be mounted in in front to back orientation, then the heatsink fan is at the front, blowing through the heatsink toward the case extraction fan, otherwise it runs bottom to top.

For what I call "downdraught" heatsinks, as they would be when flat in a desktop, the fan blows into the heatsink and air escapes toward motherboard components