VOGONS

First post, by Saerix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I've recently decided to build a dream 486 machine but I am having issues with the motherboard. I was hoping for some ideas for testing that I may not have thought about. The board was apparently tested (and working) according to the ebay seller but it seems DOA. The board does not POST nor does it beep at all, even without RAM installed (I should get a long beep without RAM). After configuring the jumpers according to the documents I have for this board, testing the power supply (which was new), swapped out the CPU, removed the ram, I am still not getting any beeps from the PC speaker nor video signal using an S3 ViRGE 2MB. Also double-checked the PC speaker connection and swapped it out for a tested one as well.

System specs:
Motherboard: M-Tech R418W2
CPU: Intel A80486DX-33 SX419
Cache: 256KB 32x8
RAM: The board came with 4 FPM SIMMs but I have EDO sticks as well. I have tried them all. (But not the EDO and the FPM at the same time, of course.)
PSU: AT 300W

The motherboard documentation I have been using is located here: http://motherboards.mbarron.net/models/486pci/r418v2.html

Is there anything else that I can try? At this point I'm pretty sure its a dead board but I'd like a second opinion.

Reply 1 of 3, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

He fooled ya. 😠

You can test voltages underneath the AT connector.
You can check if CPU is getting enough juice (3.3v or 5v - but I think it is 5V)
or push the chipset holding steady while you turn the computer on

There are tons of tips to try. Have a better one.

Reply 2 of 3, by sd_entertainmnt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a board with the same chipset (4DPS) that came without a battery and didn't post till I put one in. Make sure the CMOS battery is decent, and also try shorting the clear CMOS jumper for a minute to make sure it's not a setting causing it to not post.

Reply 3 of 3, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try using an ISA graphics card. I remember my R418W2 didn't like some of the Virge cards I tried.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium