Fastest Socket 7 board?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 32, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
havli wrote:

For me it is Gigabyte GA-5AX rev 5.2. Very fast and stable, perfect overclocking (125MHz FSB with external cache, 135 MHz without... depends on luck of course). Supports pretty much any CPU, including K6-III+

I had issues with that particular board - it's under-performing with K6-III chips for some reason. Probably a BIOS issue.

Reply 21 of 32, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is that Pentium 350 MMX a real thing? That fastest I've heard of is 300MHz, and that used a 66MHz FSB.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 23 of 32, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kanecvr wrote:
havli wrote:

For me it is Gigabyte GA-5AX rev 5.2. Very fast and stable, perfect overclocking (125MHz FSB with external cache, 135 MHz without... depends on luck of course). Supports pretty much any CPU, including K6-III+

I had issues with that particular board - it's under-performing with K6-III chips for some reason. Probably a BIOS issue.

I'm working on some projects using that board and K6-III+ and might also try the AOpen AX59 Pro to see how it compares.

For pure Socket 7, do checkout SIS chipsets. I have this Asus board and it's the fastest board I have. Supposedly it's a budget board which is funny.

There are also differences between DOS and Windows performance, it seems no board is the fastest, some are faster in DOS, others faster in Windows.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 24 of 32, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lazibayer wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

So what exactly did you do? Cut a trace then reroute it?

I just jump wired the two pins.

Please tell me (with a picture) which two pins to bridge on a tillamook to get 4x multi... I can't find any details about it?

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 25 of 32, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:

1. AOpen AX59-PRO - ATX, 4 PCI, 3 ISA, AGP, 3 SDRAM, 2 SIMM, Supports FSB up to 125MHz (officially), 143 unofficially, VIA MVP3 Based, VIA 686B ATA66 Southbridge - supports voltages from 1.3 to 3.8V in 0.05v increments

My X59-Pro only has 2 ISAs...?

Reply 26 of 32, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Now that everyone is down with their limp-wristed suggestions...

TYAN S1564D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZZFn_DAC0g

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 27 of 32, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kanecvr wrote:
havli wrote:

My GA-5AX 4.1 seemed to work just fine with K6-III, though it's an older revision. Or are you referring to the K6-III+?
How much did yours underperform?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 28 of 32, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had the Gigabyte GA-5AA, before I killed it with a GeForce4, and it worked pretty well. Can't say it was the absolutely fastest but some of the scores I got with both a K5@116 and a PMMX@275(each@110FSB) were pretty high... Doom1.9 for example got ~106 and ~155 fps respectively in timedemo demo3.

Reply 29 of 32, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
luckybob wrote:

Now that everyone is down with their limp-wristed suggestions...

TYAN S1564D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZZFn_DAC0g

Well I guise your right so to say, no wait, didn't ALR make a quad socket 7 system?

Reply 32 of 32, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The DFI P5BV3+/ K6BV3+ seems to be a nice board too.

It's an MVP3 board. Some models's cpu voltage can go as low as 1.30V 😮, the other models can go to 2.00V
Somebody did document all of the features of that board (hidden or not) here : http://www.udo-richter.de/DFI/index.en.html

Apparently you can't really overclock the FSB higher than 100MHz (though it might just be something nobody looked for. There are apparently 3 jumpers to set for the frequency + a 4th one on the latest models which leaves us 16 possibilities while here, only 8 are shown)

Seing how low the voltage can go on the later models, I'm pretty sure you can fit a K6-2 or 3 + in there !

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative