VOGONS

First post, by m5215tx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have built a Windows ME system that uses a 1.6GHz P4 CPU at the moment. I have heard that you can't go too fast on the CPU for Windows ME. If this is true what is the fastest P4 CPU that is fully stable with Windows ME?

Roland MT-32 (old), CM-32LN, SC-55, SC-88VL, MT-120, SD-35, SD-20, SD-80, SD-90
Yamaha TG100, TG300, MDF2, MU15, MU100, MU2000EX + PLG150-DR + PLG150-PF + PLG150-VL
KORG NS5R, X5DR
AKAI SG01k
KAWAI GMega
KETRON SD2

Reply 1 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
m5215tx wrote:

I have built a Windows ME system that uses a 1.6GHz P4 CPU at the moment. I have heard that you can't go too fast on the CPU for Windows ME. If this is true what is the fastest P4 CPU that is fully stable with Windows ME?

I don't see why that would be the case. I have an Athlon XP running at 2.4Ghz with Windows 98SE.

ME is basically just 98 with neutered DOS.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:

ME is basically just 98 with neutered DOS.

It's also a Win98 with Universal Plug & Play, out-of-box USB pen drive support, newer WDM drivers, a Win2k network stack, an extra registry hive,
less 16bit code, a driver database that's been copied to HDD by default, DirectX 7.1, a newer ACPI/APIC support (?, no sure),
Windows Image Acquisition (WIA), a Registry protection, a System Restore (broken, fix available), a Windows-based ScanDisk
(avoids BIOS, that's useful sometimes)
😁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 7, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yea, Windows ME is great for win9x compatibility plus some stability in hindsight.

I've ran P4's up to 3.06 GHz in Win98SE and it wasn't a problem for 3DMark at least.

Reply 4 of 7, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some of the guys here are running 98SE on 4GHz Core 2 Duos, so I doubt you'll run into timing issues on any P4.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 6 of 7, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Works ok with a P4 3.2E (Prescott, 3.2 GHz). HT is disabled in the BIOS.
I doubt a 3.4 GHz one is different...

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 7 of 7, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ran Windows Millennium Edition on an Intel Pentium 4-M 2.2 GHz (Northwood) and there were no issues whatsoever, It ran pretty darn fast, even took ePSXe emulation just fine with the appropriate 9x-compatible plugins, You will have no problems running it on faster P4 CPUs as others have pointed out.

The only 9x versions to have CPU limits are 95 OSR2.x (has a 350 MHz K6 limit + 2.1 GHz limit for Intel CPUs) and 98 First Edition (has the 2.1 GHz limit) but there are patches to circumvent those, 98 Second Edition and Millennium Edition do not have these limits.