VOGONS

First post, by atariangamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I've finally gotten a stroke of luck, and may be picking up a Voodoo 2 for very cheap... But from what I can tell from the listing, it's just the one card. Now, I'm not huge into DOS gaming, and the rig I'm slowly piecing together is geared more towards Win98, but having Glide support, even in lower resolutions, seems like a great thing to have. But I know that the Voodoo 2, especially in SLI, scales better to the CPU/Platform (or so I've read >_>)

But I've looked and looked and can find next to nothing about running the V2 in single card mode! Phil did a short demonstration of a single card in his P4 system, LGR demonstrated a single card in a Power Macintosh... but I haven't found many specs of it outside of its iconic SLI setup.

For Windows, I'm planning on using a Geforce 4 Ti of some kind, but DOS and a few other things I've been looking into can use Glide, and while I'm going to buy the card regardless... How big of a performance difference will I see?

[Projecting to use a 1GHz Pentium 3 or equivalent]

I work on computers all day, just to come home and play with computers all night.

Reply 1 of 2, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
atariangamer wrote:
So, I've finally gotten a stroke of luck, and may be picking up a Voodoo 2 for very cheap... But from what I can tell from the l […]
Show full quote

So, I've finally gotten a stroke of luck, and may be picking up a Voodoo 2 for very cheap... But from what I can tell from the listing, it's just the one card. Now, I'm not huge into DOS gaming, and the rig I'm slowly piecing together is geared more towards Win98, but having Glide support, even in lower resolutions, seems like a great thing to have. But I know that the Voodoo 2, especially in SLI, scales better to the CPU/Platform (or so I've read >_>)

But I've looked and looked and can find next to nothing about running the V2 in single card mode! Phil did a short demonstration of a single card in his P4 system, LGR demonstrated a single card in a Power Macintosh... but I haven't found many specs of it outside of its iconic SLI setup.

For Windows, I'm planning on using a Geforce 4 Ti of some kind, but DOS and a few other things I've been looking into can use Glide, and while I'm going to buy the card regardless... How big of a performance difference will I see?

[Projecting to use a 1GHz Pentium 3 or equivalent]

SLI essentialy means you can do 1024 x 768 instead of 800 x 600 max. what other components are you planning to use?

Reply 2 of 2, by atariangamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Right now, unless I find another set of good parts, my build will be this:

Pentium III-S 1.4GHz
ASUS TUSL2-C mainboard
512MB SDRAM CL2
Turtle Beach Vortex 2 sound card (Montego II?)
12GB Quantum Bigfoot (for DOS programs and games)

I still need to secure a better main system hard drive (that or use a IDE/SD adapter), and a better graphics card (I've got a GeForce2 MX200... but considering I'm wanting to do Windows games primarily, I'd rather have something nicer). I'll be picking up a 17" Dell CRT tomorrow as well.

I work on computers all day, just to come home and play with computers all night.