VOGONS

First post, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The cables with the kvm (that strangely send the ps/2 signal through the vga cable to offshoot ps/2 plugs) are all 15 pin. If I use an vga extension lead with 14 pin, the 486 can't detect the keyboard at startup. I also tried the kvm cable from another brand, it has the 14 pin, also doesn't work.

Am I stuck? My other 486 doesn't have a direct ps/2 socket or mobo header/pins for one. Only solution would be to use a ball mouse for all systems, as I have one that works with a serial adapter. Sadly my usb intellimouse only goes usb to ps/2.

Also would one of these work with a usb mouse that supports a usb-ps2 adapter? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Logitech-PWA- … KMAAOSwXYtYsv2V

Reply 1 of 7, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the extension lead is put at the computer side, it shouldn't matter, the PS/2 is already split of then right? It might be a compatibility problem between the motherboard and the KVM switch?

1982 to 2001

Reply 2 of 7, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyrix200+ wrote:

If the extension lead is put at the computer side, it shouldn't matter, the PS/2 is already split of then right? It might be a compatibility problem between the motherboard and the KVM switch?

The ps/2 cables run from the video card end of each cable. In any case I might get a cheap 2-port one that has separate ps/2 cables and daisy-chain it to the 4 port. Or just have a separate kb/mouse for that system.

Reply 3 of 7, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Meh, if you're only going to use the cable with that Compaq system, I'd just snip the pin and make it fit. I did that one time for exactly the same reason. The worst case, really, is that the computer doesn't detect the monitor type/model.

But to each their own. Take this advice with a grain of salt. If you don't want to defile your KVM cable, you can probably find a cheap extention cable online (I found the cheapest short extensions, like what's required for a Voodoo, are actually splitter Y cables) and modify that instead.

Reply 4 of 7, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RJDog wrote:

Meh, if you're only going to use the cable with that Compaq system, I'd just snip the pin and make it fit. I did that one time for exactly the same reason. The worst case, really, is that the computer doesn't detect the monitor type/model.

But to each their own. Take this advice with a grain of salt. If you don't want to defile your KVM cable, you can probably find a cheap extention cable online (I found the cheapest short extensions, like what's required for a Voodoo, are actually splitter Y cables) and modify that instead.

Isn't it possible that the ps/2 cables on the end of that vga plug are carrying the ps/2 signals though? I tried using a 14 pin extension cable which stopped them from working.

Reply 5 of 7, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bluejeans wrote:

Isn't it possible that the ps/2 cables on the end of that vga plug are carrying the ps/2 signals though? I tried using a 14 pin extension cable which stopped them from working.

Assuming you are just clipping the pin in the VGA connector itself, it should have absolutely no affect on the PS/2 portion of the KVM cable.

Also, sorry I just saw your second question about the Logitech Bus Mouse ISA adapter card... if your USB/PS2 mouse fully supports PS/2 (i.e. it's listed as such on the bottom of the mouse), then yes, the mouse will work just fine with one of those cheap USB-to-PS/2 adapter thingys for use with a PS/2 KVM and PS/2 mouse enabled computers. Unfortunately, however, Logitech Bus Mouse adapter I do not believe is compatible with PS/2 mouse. It is definitely a physically different connector, and I believe the electrical protocol is different as well.

Reply 6 of 7, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RJDog wrote:
bluejeans wrote:

Assuming you are just clipping the pin in the VGA connector itself, it should have absolutely no affect on the PS/2 portion of the KVM cable.

Also, sorry I just saw your second question about the Logitech Bus Mouse ISA adapter card... if your USB/PS2 mouse fully supports PS/2 (i.e. it's listed as such on the bottom of the mouse), then yes, the mouse will work just fine with one of those cheap USB-to-PS/2 adapter thingys for use with a PS/2 KVM and PS/2 mouse enabled computers. Unfortunately, however, Logitech Bus Mouse adapter I do not believe is compatible with PS/2 mouse. It is definitely a physically different connector, and I believe the electrical protocol is different as well.

Well, I somehow got the KVM working - using an extension cable. Not sure why it didn't work the first time. I'm guessing my only option then, for a system without ps/2, is a usb port? Oh that's right... I only have isa and vlb on the board. But I have heard of usb isa adapters...

Reply 7 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good luck with the ISA USB!
Never come across one myself but keep us posted, may be bit tricky as you will still need some kind of USB driver for dos, I know of drivers that trick DOS into seeing USB drives as a removable disk but not PS2 ports.
Not trying to be negative, I would love a working solution for my 486 as well!