VOGONS

First post, by Van Slanzar de Fanel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm embarking on building a 4 in 1 retro PC as seen from Phil's Computer Lab. For my motherboard I'm using an MS-5169 v4.0. According to the information I have found, as long as you stay with the 3.5 BIOS and don't go higher, it will work with the K6-III+ that I'm using for a CPU. So far everything is looking good. But I digress. On MSI's website, the highest BIOS is 3.7, but I have found references to a beta BIOS for this board, yet have been unable to find the update file. Does anyone have this file in their possession? Thanks!

Chris/Van/Sober.
You have found a well. You may think that there is something to it, but in fact it is just an ordinary well.

Reply 1 of 11, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just search the web for the filename on the unofficial k6+ website: A5169V35.EXE

Google will come up with some places where you can download the file.

If your board has the big heatsink in the corner of the board (behind the ramslots) can you PLEASE take a picture or just tell me what the type/name of that voltage regulator is ? (the one that is cooled by that big heatsink). I have that board from a scrapper and they took off the regulator and i want to fix the board.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 2 of 11, by Van Slanzar de Fanel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I do believe it does have the heat sink you speak of. The board is already mounted in the case, but I'll see if I can get a look at the regulator.

Thank you for the advice on the BIOS. However, it is not the 3.5 bios I'm looking for. I already have that installed on the board. And it is freely available not only on the Unofficial K6+ website, but also on MSI's site as well. I was trying to find the 3.83 beta bios, though it may not have k6+ support.

Chris/Van/Sober.
You have found a well. You may think that there is something to it, but in fact it is just an ordinary well.

Reply 3 of 11, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sorry, i completely misunderstood. Unfortunately i cannot find that beta bios either..

If the board is already mounted you might be able to take i picture with a mobile phone in there? I really hope you can manage, it would be nice to be able to fix this board.

Reply 4 of 11, by Van Slanzar de Fanel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The numbers on it are:
11119 6301-1
MAL
CS5207-1
9845J

Chris/Van/Sober.

Reply 5 of 11, by Van Slanzar de Fanel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And here is the picture.

Attachments

• IMG_1580.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1580.JPG
    File size
    2.12 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Chris/Van/Sober.

Reply 6 of 11, by AmiSapphire

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found the Beta BIOS in question! Quite tricky to find, it involved reading old forum posts, and found a link in the process. Has a build date of February 8, 2001 (v3.7 had a build date of September 8, 2000) and apparently adds 120GB HDD support. I'll also upload it as an attachment just in case.

http://wims.rainbow-software.org/denniss/MS-5 … 9%20383Beta.zip

Attachments

• Filename
    MS-5169 383Beta.zip
    File size
    120.71 KiB
    Downloads
    111 downloads
    File comment
    MS-5169 V4.0 Beta 3.83 BIOS
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Site update: cwcyrix.duckdns.org -> cwcyrix.nsupdate.info due to the former no longer working.

Reply 7 of 11, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Van Slanzar de Fanel wrote:

And here is the picture.

THANK YOU! Awesome, finally i can try and fix this one. Appreciated!!

Reply 8 of 11, by betamax80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you once again my vogonites for supplying something rare! I'm about to acquire an MS-5169 rev 4.0 myself. Initially I have a K6-2 550 but have managed to order a "new?!" K6-III+ 450 (seems to be the last found in UK) and keen to try all I can!

Reply 9 of 11, by Van Slanzar de Fanel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

AmiSapphire, thanks so much for locating it. I was finding some old forum posts, as well, but it didn't seem that anyone actually had a link. Larger hard drive support is welcome, but I'll need to see how it handles the K6-III+.

Chris/Van/Sober.

Reply 10 of 11, by MannyMania

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys. I've managed to get my hands on a Ms5169 v4.0 board and a AMD K6-3+ cpu. Using the Beta 3.83 bios is causing the CPU to run super painfully slow. If l load the v3.5bios (that supports the K6-3) it's super fast again. However enabling USB in the bios causes the system to hang after the system bios is done loading. Anyone having this issue and get it figured out??

Cheers.

Reply 11 of 11, by mitchkramez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also found the 3.8b3 bios to be incredibly buggy with any processor i tried. It resulted in unstable AGP and PCI video, and was not compatible at all with my K6-III 400 (very slow performance), though the K6-II 500 worked. I'm currently running BIOS 3.7 but may try others as I'm seeing some strange ISA behavior with my AWE32 that I haven't nailed down yet that causes MIDI in windows to play back at ½ speed unless you are clicking the mouse on the media player window.

On paper it's a great board, but it's been a little frustrating getting it going so far!