VOGONS

First post, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a few older laptops around that have issues ranging from failed motherboards up to being only half complete. I disassembled my Gateway M685E which resultes in it's destruction (I initially was going to attempt repairs but disassembly proved beyond my skill level. I found burned areas on the board anyways so it's not like I would have been able to do anything had I succeeded) due to the fact it no longer would charge, the USB ports all had a constant overvolt issue, and various other more minor issues. I saved the RAM, CD drive, MXM Go 7600, CPU etc I'm just wondering if I'm making the correct call here before I disassemble my other 3 laptops that are in similar or worse condition. The value of these laptops appear to be in the 30-75 dollar bracket working on eBay and parts prices + shipping as near as I can tell would make repairing them more expensive than just buying another of the same model. I just don't know if I'm making the right call here and I want the communitys opinion.

What do you guys do with laptops in this condition and what's worth my storage space to save component wise?

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1 of 18, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I work in IT and come across dead laptops somewhat frequently. I usually pull the CPU, RAM, HDD, CD/DVD drive, wireless card, CR2032 (if it comes with a plugin connector) and sometimes I'll save the screws too because you never know when you're going to lose one on another laptop that you're working. Basically, anything that *might* be of use when repairing another laptop down the road. These parts are all small too, so minimal storage space. I think you're doing fine. 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 18, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

I work in IT and come across dead laptops somewhat frequently. I usually pull the CPU, RAM, HDD, CD/DVD drive, wireless card, CR2032 (if it comes with a plugin connector) and sometimes I'll save the screws too because you never know when you're going to lose one on another laptop that you're working. Basically, anything that *might* be of use when repairing another laptop down the road. These parts are all small too, so minimal storage space. I think you're doing fine. 😀

So you don't save cooling components or display panels? I would have saved this one but I sorta lost it halfway through and put my screwdriver through it....

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 3 of 18, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't because they are sort of model-specific, and the odds of needing them for an exact model fix are pretty low, at least where I work.

The wireless cards are incredibly useful. I've come across a few dead wifi cards in otherwise good laptops, and they are pretty universal and easily replaced. Intel wifi cards especially, as their linux compatibility is high.

Reply 4 of 18, by Gatewayuser200

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For me, instant trash.

The only laptops/laptop parts I save are rare or older ones. Most laptops made past 2004 was made to be used up and thrown away.

"network down, IP packets delivered via UPS" - BOFH
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

Reply 6 of 18, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Depending on how much stuff is missing/broken, I either repair them or part them out.

My personal favorite when it comes to serviceability is older Dell laptops from pre-2007, I bought two broken Dell laptops to salvage parts for reuse on similar models that still work fine in the event that something tragic happens to them.

I stripped a Dell Inspiron 4150 so I have some spare parts (heatsinks, fans, modem, cables, speakers, misc small parts) for the Latitude C640, and it gave my i8200 a CPU upgrade from 1.8 to 2.2 GHz.
I stripped a Dell Latitude D600 so I have spare parts (screen, keyboard, bottom case, heatsinks, anything but the motherboard) for my D600 that still works, even had some useful parts like a bluetooth module and better-looking bottom stickers and memory covers.

I also remove CPUs/RAM/disk drives/expansion cards from any damaged laptop I find just in case there's a spare or even a better one than what I have.

Reply 7 of 18, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:

I don't because they are sort of model-specific, and the odds of needing them for an exact model fix are pretty low, at least where I work.

The wireless cards are incredibly useful. I've come across a few dead wifi cards in otherwise good laptops, and they are pretty universal and easily replaced. Intel wifi cards especially, as their linux compatibility is high.

Some of the laptop screens are interchangeable, even if they aren't exact matches.

I used one once that the mounting holes didn't even match up properly but was able to make it work and it fit in the backing/bezel just fine and you couldn't even tell afterwards.

The only real thing you have to look for is the same type of cable or a cable that will work, overall size, and screen resolution. If you can get a higher res screen that will work, even better.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 18, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I struggle to find uses for working laptops let alone dead ones. Got a few in storage ranging from Pentium upto 5 years old or so, all work, just not sure what to do with them.
I gave any that were OK spec to family but still have few kicking round, but they aren't worth enough to sell once you include packaging material.

Dead laptops If its just the HDD, I'll put in something I have kicking around, anything else I'll grab the HDD and RAM and that's it.
Fans, etc I don't have any use for, CPU's are always low-mid range P4's or later now so not worth anything, I do have a touch screen from a 2011 era HP but really I'm never going to do anything of it, let alone "normal" laptop screens.

Reply 9 of 18, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So basically the consensus of the community is that broken/incomplete laptops are only worth repairing if you have the skills and you don't have to order a bunch of parts? All of my remaining ones need new motherboards. I'm thinking I'll grab everything that isn't soldered down (including screens) and toss the cases. I'm going to keep cooling components around as the fans could come in handy and the screens as I might find another laptop they fit someday (or maybe I'll find some weird hilarious use for them)

So I'm basically doing the right thing morality and feasibility wise?

Reply 10 of 18, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

So basically the consensus of the community is that broken/incomplete laptops are only worth repairing if you have the skills and you don't have to order a bunch of parts? All of my remaining ones need new motherboards. I'm thinking I'll grab everything that isn't soldered down (including screens) and toss the cases. I'm going to keep cooling components around as the fans could come in handy and the screens as I might find another laptop they fit someday (or maybe I'll find some weird hilarious use for them)

You could also throw them up on eBay and sell them as parts/repair and make a little bit.

The other use for old laptop screens, if you really want a useless project, is to make a home made projector. Yes, it was a thing back in the day to get a less expensive high end projector.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 11 of 18, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Right. I only keep parts that I think I might need to more easily/cheaply fix another laptop down the road.

Reply 12 of 18, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The screen could be re-used as an external monitor with an appropriate controller board. E-Bay seems to sell those for all kinds of screens:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trk … +Board&_sacat=0

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 13 of 18, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A lot can be salvaged from broken laptops for repairs and resale especially some of the more expensive parts like high end mxm cards and procs ect. Payed off my car doing this and along with helping to build up a collection. You will be surprised how expensive even some of the older parts can be and some laptops are absolutely worth saving.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 14 of 18, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zirkoni wrote:

The screen could be re-used as an external monitor with an appropriate controller board. E-Bay seems to sell those for all kinds of screens:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trk … +Board&_sacat=0

LMAO. I did get 2 1440x900 17" panels out of the two Toshibas I tore apart. This is actually a great idea for cheaply producing 2 more 1440x900 monitors for my main to run triple screen. Not sure how I'll make a stand for them though. Does anyone know if those can be bought on eBay too?

My scheme has been schemed.

Reply 15 of 18, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I fix them, if they can be fixed. Else I take them apart and keep the working parts.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 16 of 18, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Depends on the damage. I buy old/older parts machines on ebay all the time and quite a few were easily fixable.

I purchased a Thinkpad T400 a while back with a dead screen and purchased a T61 14" widescreen and put that display in the T400. The T61 parts machine I will keep around in a box in case I need parts for one of my other T61's.

Generally I will keep the parts machines intact and snag what I need as I need them. To be honest they are compact and stackable as is so why waste time taking them apart and making a mess.
Over time I will junk some of the more stripped out machines and just keep the screens (if good) and some common items. I don't have that many parts machines but quite a few working laptops.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 17 of 18, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

Right. I only keep parts that I think I might need to more easily/cheaply fix another laptop down the road.

Same. The prices of new laptops have come down so that there really isn't a viable market for used ones. Only if it was quite new (3-4 years old) with a broken HDD I could maybe get a 100€ from fixing and selling it, but other than that there's not much of a market for basic used laptops. Normal people insist on getting the 2 year warranty, so they buy a new one. Anyone wanting a gaming laptop will buy something more expensive.

edit: I just checked the new offerings from a local store. 12" notebook for 170€ and 17" for 330€. 😵

Reply 18 of 18, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Not sure how I'll make a stand for them though. Does anyone know if those can be bought on eBay too?

You'd probably have to do it yourself. Take a look at some videos on Youtube if you want ideas:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query= … itor+conversion

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42