VOGONS

First post, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, I watched PhilsComputerLab's video on networking in DOS. Followed the directions, but am still having issues.

First, I load the packet driver for the PCI card, and then change my host name, etc. for mTCP. When I run DHCP it just keeps timing out, and I'm stumped. In Windows 95, I also get an error saying the card isn't working properly upon startup, as well, but I just want to check off the DOS side for now. Any ideas? Thanks.

Reply 1 of 40, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried doing a hardware check with the dos config program? It's DIAG.EXE , see if the tests check out. Could be a dead nic , it's not that uncommon...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 40, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

Have you tried doing a hardware check with the dos config program? It's DIAG.EXE , see if the tests check out. Could be a dead nic , it's not that uncommon...

What's this DIAG.EXE you mean? Also, the activity light actually does blink on the NIC for a second when the timeouts occur.

Reply 3 of 40, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't you have the card's DOS and win9x driver package?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 40, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

Don't you have the card's DOS and win9x driver package?

Oh, I see that in the package now. Thought it was something that came with DOS or something. Sorry. I'll check it out in a bit.

Reply 5 of 40, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"The IO or IRQ settings set up by the system are illegal. Check your CMOS settings or contact your vendor."

Well, that sucks because my CMOS chip doesn't save anything at the moment and I bought a new one that's coming all the way from China... Not even sure that will work.

Reply 6 of 40, by MERCURY127

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
thepirategamerboy12 wrote:

"The IO or IRQ settings set up by the system are illegal. Check your CMOS settings or contact your vendor." ... Not even sure that will work.

use drivers for ordinal Reatek. e.g., find some contains rtlpkt, and also wattcp 16 bit package (not 32 bit!). there must be ping.exe utility (dos exe, not win32 analog from win98!). unpack all to \NET folder on C.
after, run
C:\NET\> rtlpkt 0x60
C:\NET\> ping google.com
if ping success - all work.

Attachments

• Filename
    wat2001a.zip
    File size
    763.84 KiB
    Downloads
    93 downloads
    File comment
    latest wattcp 16 bit
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 40, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MERCURY127 wrote:
use drivers for ordinal Reatek. e.g., find some contains rtlpkt, and also wattcp 16 bit package (not 32 bit!). there must be pin […]
Show full quote

"The IO or IRQ settings set up by the system are illegal. Check your CMOS settings or contact your vendor." ... Not even sure that will work.

use drivers for ordinal Reatek. e.g., find some contains rtlpkt, and also wattcp 16 bit package (not 32 bit!). there must be ping.exe utility (dos exe, not win32 analog from win98!). unpack all to \NET folder on C.
after, run

Thanks for supplying the file. I'll try that tomorrow because I'm pretty tired now.

Reply 8 of 40, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"The IO or IRQ settings set up by the system are illegal. Check your CMOS settings or contact your vendor."

Well, that sucks because my CMOS chip doesn't save anything at the moment and I bought a new one that's coming all the way from China... Not even sure that will work.

well, you can use DIAG.EXE and change the IO/IRQ to something that works in your system. The settings are stored in an eeprom on the card, if you chose good settings and reboot chances are it will work just fine.

Reply 9 of 40, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

well, you can use DIAG.EXE and change the IO/IRQ to something that works in your system. The settings are stored in an eeprom on the card, if you chose good settings and reboot chances are it will work just fine.

How would I change those settings? DIAG litteraly just gives me that message after their intro and tells me to exit.

Reply 10 of 40, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MERCURY127 wrote:
use drivers for ordinal Reatek. e.g., find some contains rtlpkt, and also wattcp 16 bit package (not 32 bit!). there must be pin […]
Show full quote

after, run

Rtlpkt didn't work with my NIC at all. Didn't even give me a MAC address.

Reply 11 of 40, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MERCURY127 wrote:
Show full quote

after, run

Never start by trying to ping google.com right away. Or any other hostname. That all assumes that your DNS is working.

Instead, start by pinging your local router using it's IP address. If that works you can branch out to something like 8.8.8.8, which is Google's HonestDNS service that should be reachable anywhere.

Also, I have a slight bias here, but I'd use the mTCP version of ping. It's been maintained in the past 10 years. ; - 0

Reply 12 of 40, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OP ... have you read the mTCP PDF documentation? It has a fairly decent section on getting hardware running and debugging problems.

See http://www.brutman.com/mTCP/ for the most current version of mTCP and a link to the PDF documentation.

Reply 13 of 40, by MERCURY127

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mbbrutman wrote:

Never start by trying to ping google.com right away. Or any other hostname. That all assumes that your DNS is working.

yes, but connection without dns resolving useless anyway... 😁

Rtlpkt didn't work with my NIC at all. Didn't even give me a MAC address.

ok. i forget, that here exist many variants Realtek PD - rtlpkt, rtspkt, pcipkt, rtgpkt, rtepkt...
but when i test DFE-528 (8 years back), under sticker on main chip appear RTL8139D, and i remember, that one of this *pkt work good (possible it was rtspkt).

if u have file dlkfet.* - try it, then ping, as i say early. or look attachment.

Attachments

• Filename
    170616.zip
    File size
    638.09 KiB
    Downloads
    68 downloads
    File comment
    files from Original driver for 530 and some other...
    File license

Reply 14 of 40, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would troubleshoot this the complete other way!
Getting network up and running in Win95 with its built in network support is much easier then dos, plus the GUI makes troubleshooting much easier.
You can use device manager to set its resources, Not sure if Win95 has built in drivers but there are 2 different diver versions here,
http://support.dlink.com/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DFE-530TX I just downloaded 1.01601 and it includes all the dos files which will be useful later as well
But once you have the network card at least picking up a DHCP address in windows, you can then use that combination of IRQ, etc resources in your dos which is lot less forgiving.

Reply 15 of 40, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:
I would troubleshoot this the complete other way! Getting network up and running in Win95 with its built in network support is m […]
Show full quote

I would troubleshoot this the complete other way!
Getting network up and running in Win95 with its built in network support is much easier then dos, plus the GUI makes troubleshooting much easier.
You can use device manager to set its resources, Not sure if Win95 has built in drivers but there are 2 different diver versions here,
http://support.dlink.com/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DFE-530TX I just downloaded 1.01601 and it includes all the dos files which will be useful later as well
But once you have the network card at least picking up a DHCP address in windows, you can then use that combination of IRQ, etc resources in your dos which is lot less forgiving.

I tried both, and they're specifically for the DFE-530TX. Didn't even detect the board.

Reply 16 of 40, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MERCURY127 wrote:
mbbrutman wrote:

yes, but connection without dns resolving useless anyway... 😁

I don't understand that reasoning at all. If you can't ping your own gateway, there is no point in trying to ping something that requires a DNS lookup. First you figure out if you are on the network; then you can get fancy with gateways and DNS.

Reply 18 of 40, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
17061700.JPG
Filename
17061700.JPG
File size
134.56 KiB
Views
File comment
HW Revision E1 D-Link DFE-530TX+
File license

It's possible that not using the correct driver for the OP's card hardware revision is part (or all) of the problem here. Chinny22's link was to D-Link's product support for the DFE-530TX, and that card is distinct from the DFE-530TX+. There is still a D-Link support page for the DFE-530TX+, but it only has drivers for the F and G hardware revisions of the DFE-530TX+:

http://support.dlink.com/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DFE-530TX%2B

So the question is (for the OP), what is the exact hardware revision of your DFE-530TX+? It should be printed on your card or on a sticker on the card. Also, do you have the CD-ROM that came with the DFE-530TX+ (assuming that it is a retail card)? It should have a complete driver set for your particular hardware revision.

I still use DFE-530TX+ cards in all of my old Windows 98/WIndows ME machines, and they were purchased in the late 1990s/early 2000s. If memory serves, they tend to be hardware revision C or D, and I am using drivers that I downloaded from D-Link back in 2003/2004.

A photo of a HW Revision E1 is attached with the revision number on the upper left of the card. The HW revision number is also printed on a sticker on the back of the card.

Reply 19 of 40, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
akula65 wrote:

So the question is (for the OP), what is the exact hardware revision of your DFE-530TX+? It should be printed on your card or on a sticker on the card. Also, do you have the CD-ROM that came with the DFE-530TX+ (assuming that it is a retail card)? It should have a complete driver set for your particular hardware revision.

Mine is revision D2. I don't have the CD, as I just got the card only on eBay for around 4 dollars.