VOGONS

First post, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys. I'm having an issue with a GTX 280 - regardless of what machine I stick it into, it will only run at PCI-E 4x... I looked at the board (physically) and I couldn't find any signs of damage. Any ideas? Could it be a video bios issue?

Reply 3 of 5, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since when ?
I read something about it. Can't remember the details.
You know, I always take annotations on hints and tricks and so I did a search with keywords "x16" x8" in my text files - No joy.

Mind draws nothing but card falling back to x8 due to missing components.
Double check with a magnifying glass, compare with photos. That's what I would do.

Nbitor and NVFLASH solving issues? Hardly, but check it out.

I guess x8 is fine, x4 hits performance, but hey, you are the one who likes engine and speed !? I've seen some guys installing a damn graphics card in the x1 slot! 😎

Reply 4 of 5, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Frasco wrote:
Since when ? I read something about it. Can't remember the details. You know, I always take annotations on hints and tricks and […]
Show full quote

Since when ?
I read something about it. Can't remember the details.
You know, I always take annotations on hints and tricks and so I did a search with keywords "x16" x8" in my text files - No joy.

Mind draws nothing but card falling back to x8 due to missing components.
Double check with a magnifying glass, compare with photos. That's what I would do.

Nbitor and NVFLASH solving issues? Hardly, but check it out.

I guess x8 is fine, x4 hits performance, but hey, you are the one who likes engine and speed !? I've seen some guys installing a damn graphics card in the x1 slot! 😎

I'll check it out, see what comes up. I'll also test the card on a modern mainboard.

Reply 5 of 5, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe you are in these categories:
nForce 650i SLI = nForce680i = PCI 1.1
GTX 280 = PCI2.0
In this scenario the card uses the bandwidth of PCI 1.1, no problem. So the card is acting up.

nForce680i = PCI 1.1
GTX 280 = PCI2.1
A BIOS update is necessary (not feasible and chances are the card is acting up - PCI 2.0 and PCI2.1 provide same speed).

Don't even know what the heck is PCI2.1, I just read a little bit on this matter. 😈

kanecvr wrote:

I'll check it out, see what comes up. I'll also test the card on a modern mainboard.

New board = PCI 3.0
GTX 280 = PCI2.0
It will mean a lot in your investigation. Good luck.