VOGONS

First post, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

(magic twinpower) - I looked on that voodoo driver site that's due to go down in a couple of week, but didn't find anything, only for the agp version.

Reply 2 of 8, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

You can find them here:
http://www.falconfly.de/downloads/voodoo-banshee-10400.zip

PCI cards use the same drivers as the AGP ones.

What was the average cpu that people had back when this card came out?

Reply 3 of 8, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
bluejeans wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

You can find them here:

Probably a K6-2 or PI or PII

Reply 4 of 8, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jade Falcon wrote:
bluejeans wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

You can find them here:

Probably a K6-2 or PI or PII

How about the matrox g400, tnt2 and firegl 4mb? (All agp)

Reply 5 of 8, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's a slow card. It will be faster than a single Voodoo2 in single-texturing games (think GLQuake), but massively slower, I believe up to half as fast(?) in anything that uses multi-texturing, so Quake 2, Unreal, Half-Life and the like will suffer greatly.
As such, I've never really found a use for one. It'd be a nice card to use on a Pentium machine though, instead of using a dedicated 2D card + Voodoo1. The Voodoo Banshee has great output quality, pretty much the same as Voodoo3 and Voodoo5.

Reply 6 of 8, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

It's a slow card. It will be faster than a single Voodoo2 in single-texturing games (think GLQuake), but massively slower, I believe up to half as fast(?) in anything that uses multi-texturing, so Quake 2, Unreal, Half-Life and the like will suffer greatly.
As such, I've never really found a use for one. It'd be a nice card to use on a Pentium machine though, instead of using a dedicated 2D card + Voodoo1. The Voodoo Banshee has great output quality, pretty much the same as Voodoo3 and Voodoo5.

I'm just after period-appropriate cards to run in zdoom software mode. (Obviously none of them will work acceptably with even the earliest gzdoom)

Reply 7 of 8, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bluejeans wrote:

Banshee came after Voodoo2 near the end of 1998. It was intended to be a budget product for budget gamers, who would probably favor K6-2 or Celeron over P-II. P-I and P-MMX might be a little too old and low for Banshee.

Reply 8 of 8, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bluejeans wrote:

How about the matrox g400, tnt2 and firegl 4mb? (All agp)

G400 was expensive and high end so I'd say P-III.
TNT2 ranges from high end Ultra to low end Vanta, so it depends on what version you have.
FireGL - I assume you meant the Permedia1/2 chip version - was intended for low end 3D CADs. I'd get a PCI version, pair it with Pentium Pro and run NT4. It was really really bad at gaming.