VOGONS

First post, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wanting to run it on a p75 with 48mb ram and a p166 with 32mb ram - mainly for 98's superior usb support. I don't believe it would let those two systems perform at 95 levels though.

Reply 2 of 7, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kaputnik wrote:

98Lite will let you run W98 at W95 performance levels, if you use the options that replaces the W98 shell with the W95 one.

Will it bring millenium down to 95 performance level? (Yes 98lite does support me) - I've found it to be the best retro o.s because it has drivers for almost everything and usb just works - even some pci usb cards are supported without hunting for drivers.

Reply 3 of 7, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recall 98lite being quite usable on my 486 DX2 back in the day. I recommend it to anyone for a machine of that vintage that wants to run a more modern operating system on it than it was intended to. I'm not sure how usable it would actually be now, but you could run Internet Explorer 6 and Microsoft Office XP on a 486 if you were so inclined...

Reply 4 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It also allows you further access to add or remove optional components in Win98 that you otherwise aren't able to touch.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 7, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bluejeans wrote:
kaputnik wrote:

98Lite will let you run W98 at W95 performance levels, if you use the options that replaces the W98 shell with the W95 one.

Will it bring millenium down to 95 performance level? (Yes 98lite does support me) - I've found it to be the best retro o.s because it has drivers for almost everything and usb just works - even some pci usb cards are supported without hunting for drivers.

Never tried it with ME, so wouldn't know. Went directly from 98SE to 2K back in the day, and nowadays 98SE is the OS of choice for my retro machines.