VOGONS

First post, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I want to do it and use 98lite to remove the ie shell because win 98's usb support is a bit flakey for me (installed usb keyboard, upon restart it won't recognize it nor will I get prompted to install drivers again - all the indicator lights just light up). I want to run ME on the following systems:

pentium 75 (underclocked from 133 because I already have a "close enough" 166), 48mb ram
pentium 166, 32mb ram
pentium 200, 64mb ram

All I want to do on said systems is run zdoom, perhaps other games - if I find it too slow I'd chuck the drive with 95 in, only I don't have enough drives to put millenium on atm, so I thought I'd ask here first.

Reply 2 of 4, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LHN91 wrote:

Actually only the P75 is technically below minimum spec. Minimum spec for Windows ME is a Pentium 150 and 32MB of RAM 😀

98lite makes a big deal about meeting 95-level performance by taking out the ie shell, but do you think this would be the case with millenium? E.g it will run it at 95 levels? Seems unlikely, I mean there's more to the performance of an o.s than a gui.

Reply 3 of 4, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have used ME on a 166mmx with 64 mb ram. It was just fine.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 4 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bluejeans wrote:

(installed usb keyboard, upon restart it won't recognize it nor will I get prompted to install drivers again - all the indicator lights just light up).

Is this an onboard USB port, or are you using a PCI card? Because the PCI cards probably aren't going to run much better in ME. Have you tried booting Puppy Linux to see if the USB keyboard works any better there?

All I want to do on said systems is run zdoom, perhaps other games

Have I mentioned HX DOS Extender? It might be worth a shot, depending on your needs. (You'll want one of the special builds with sound support, of course.)