VOGONS

First post, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am having a hard time seeing 250 dollars for something that is throwing up disk and memory errors, especially since that disk is probably dead anyway and I'm only really interested in the case.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182624097118?_trksid= … R1.TR4#shpCntId

Reply 3 of 24, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BananaBonez wrote:

There is a Make an Offer button on it.

I made a 50 dollar offer, with a note on my objections, noting the errors onscreen. The fifty dollar was rejected with no comment, as I expected it to be, but my somewhat more serious offer for 100 was outright ignored. Personally, I would consider 125, and maybe 150, but my last two Ebay purchases have left me sorely disappointed. Old hardware is a craps shoot, and I am not made of money. I have spent nearly 300 dollars on this hobby in a very short time, and have little to show for it.

Predator99 wrote:

Only interested in the case..? If you buy it you should restore all parts. For me it looks repairable. Don't know about the price. Think this is more for a museum.

Signs point to a 286 AT clone, possibly with a color monitor though I could be wrong. As I said, a there is a memory error on screen, and this thing likely has dip-style memory, so that could be a problem. Also, this thing is old enough to very likely have a disk where you have to manually park the heads, which I doubt our picker friend has done any of the times he's turned it on, which could possibly be the reason it now spits out a disk error as well.

Reply 4 of 24, by BananaBonez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

an offer of $50 when the sellers price is over $200 is lowballing and insulting the seller. If it is worth $150 to YOU why so low of a bid? I would ignore you too. God,I have spent over a $1000 on computer parts in the last 10 years on eBay. If you cant stand the heat stay out of the kitchen.
If the case is all you wanted look for alternative cases, be ingenuitive or wait for a long time to find one.

Reply 5 of 24, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Its worth $150 without looking at the internals but if everything inside aside from the drive is in good shape it is worth more however people here (often cheap like some mercedes enthusiasts) forget that it costs an arm and a leg to ship properly. Would I buy it? Nope not at all as machines of that vintage don't interest me enough and parts for them are not exactly cheap either.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 6 of 24, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's worth as much as it sells for. Some sellers misjudge the target audience but some are just stubborn - buyers too 😉

Don't go into finance... my head will explode if I'll check my PayPal expenses over the years 🤣

I can't really comment on the price as it's not my kind of thing. I'm more into 90's stuff 😉

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 7 of 24, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BananaBonez wrote:

an offer of $50 when the sellers price is over $200 is lowballing and insulting the seller. If it is worth $150 to YOU why so low of a bid? I would ignore you too. God,I have spent over a $1000 on computer parts in the last 10 years on eBay. If you cant stand the heat stay out of the kitchen.
If the case is all you wanted look for alternative cases, be ingenuitive or wait for a long time to find one.

50 dollars is indeed low balling, but I flat told him to make a counter offer in the message. I would also like to point out that he is selling this as 'tested and working' when it is clearly not. I cannot see inside this thing, nor can I test it.

I have little respect or sympathy for pickers.

You're new with 11 posts, and your gate keeping attitude is unnecessary. I don't see you lasting long on this forum.

Reply 8 of 24, by r.cade

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I disagree at $50 being low-balling. This is not a known name-brand computer, so IMO it's not worth much.

Even Kaypro's really don't go that high and they at least have some historical significance.

NOTE: I noticed that it's free shipping. Adjust accordingly. I wouldn't personally want this, but if you did, $50+shipping is more reasonable. I'd be willing to bet they didn't take that into consideration. Shipping this 200 miles is one price, 2000 miles quite another price range.

Reply 9 of 24, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
r.cade wrote:

I disagree at $50 being low-balling. This is not a known name-brand computer, so IMO it's not worth much.

Even Kaypro's really don't go that high and they at least have some historical significance.

NOTE: I noticed that it's free shipping. Adjust accordingly. I wouldn't personally want this, but if you did, $50+shipping is more reasonable. I'd be willing to bet they didn't take that into consideration. Shipping this 200 miles is one price, 2000 miles quite another price range.

Indeed, that thing looks kind of heavy, one of several reasons I expected the 50 dollar offer to be rejected, which is why I offered 100 dollars the next time. I think 150 would be my next offer. If he doesn't budge, he doesn't budge, and he can continue to trip over the thing at home.

Reply 10 of 24, by BananaBonez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Moogle! wrote:
50 dollars is indeed low balling, but I flat told him to make a counter offer in the message. I would also like to point out tha […]
Show full quote
BananaBonez wrote:

50 dollars is indeed low balling, but I flat told him to make a counter offer in the message. I would also like to point out that he is selling this as 'tested and working' when it is clearly not. I cannot see inside this thing, nor can I test it.

I have little respect or sympathy for pickers.

You're new with 11 posts, and your gate keeping attitude is unnecessary. I don't see you lasting long on this forum.

What is worth to us is not relevent. What YOU believe it is worth to YOU is what matters and ONLY if the seller agrees with YOU.
I t does not work that way. YOU make the seller the first offer and if the seller declines your offer he can counter your offer with another price above yours. Then you can make one more offer and the seller can agree or deny it.
How long that I last on this forum is not for YOU to decide. I tell things as I see them. If you do not like tough darts farmer.

Reply 11 of 24, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BananaBonez wrote:

First thing, almost everybody here low balls on offers to start out with, Second thing this is a generally friendly forum there it is not tolerable to insult fellow members , we don't need your "If you cant stand the heat stay out of the kitchen" comments, alright . I also find it funny that you say it is an insult to send such a low ball offer, and that "If you cant stand the heat stay out of the kitchen," but if that applies to us doesn't that apply to the seller that decided to list this on eBay with a best offer button. eBay sellers are vulchers anyways, they get a hold of something old and think it automatically worth a lot because it is old, but it doesn't work that way, so people that actually understand that it isn't really worth much should keep low balling it until the seller understands that it really isn't that valuable.

Reply 12 of 24, by BananaBonez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Would you not be insulted or at least annoyed if you were selling a $5000 vehicle and someone offered you $1000 or less for it? I sure would.
I have not insulted anyone on this forum. My reference to If you can not stand the heat ... is in regards to other words if you can not pony up the money to afford the cost of items on eBay then find a cheaper hobby. It is only going to get more expensive with time. For the record I have nothing to do with that auction or the seller in any form.

Reply 15 of 24, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Moogle! wrote:

I am having a hard time seeing 250 dollars for something that is throwing up disk and memory errors, especially since that disk is probably dead anyway and I'm only really interested in the case.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182624097118?_trksid= … R1.TR4#shpCntId

Check the sellers sales history. He sells in pretty high volume and at pretty high prices. I don't see him back down very much.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 17 of 24, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is this keyboard worth $40?
It's from a Univac UTS 40 dumb terminal and the terminal itself will never be found but it's just so.. nice! Love at first sight.
So is this worth the price even though I'll probably never use it? Trying to find answers from people with better objectivity than mine.
https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?t=19430

Attachments

• keytronic.jpg
    Filename
    keytronic.jpg
    File size
    214.23 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 18 of 24, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Obscure keyboard from obscure terminal, probably with very little interest for collecting. Not worth it, unless you want to do something interesting with it.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 19 of 24, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-09-11, 10:24:

Obscure keyboard from obscure terminal, probably with very little interest for collecting. Not worth it, unless you want to do something interesting with it.

True, it's pretty useless without the terminal itself.