VOGONS

First post, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Played with this board a bit:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/694T_Pro.html#hero-overview

It works fine with P3 700 - coppermine. But won't boot with any Tualatin CPU - tested with Celeron 1000A, 1200 and P3 1.4GHz. LED indicators stay RED at power on - this indicates problem with CPU - damaged or not installed properly.

BIOS is latest v7.50.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/694T_ … .html#down-bios

"Funny" thing is I have two the same boards and both behave like this 😕

Any ideas?

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 6 of 17, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tualatins are all good and tested with different boards - Asus TUSL2-c, Abit ST6, VH6T... All work fine, just these two MSI have problems...

Just tested with CR2032 installed - the same, no boot. Also swaped the ATX PSU and all the same. No go 🙁

Google found this (yesterday):
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/msi-694t … alatin.1258616/

It seems pretty weird to me 😕

Reply 8 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kixs wrote:
Tualatins are all good and tested with different boards - Asus TUSL2-c, Abit ST6, VH6T... All work fine, just these two MSI have […]
Show full quote

Tualatins are all good and tested with different boards - Asus TUSL2-c, Abit ST6, VH6T... All work fine, just these two MSI have problems...

Just tested with CR2032 installed - the same, no boot. Also swaped the ATX PSU and all the same. No go 🙁

Google found this (yesterday):
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/msi-694t … alatin.1258616/

It seems pretty weird to me 😕

I think it's a bit odd that the one on anandtech had this problem back in 2004, and here you are, 13 years later.
Do you happen to be using the same PSU for testing both your MSI boards? If this is the case, you might want to try out a different PSU, also because this is much easier and faster then changing the caps on both boards only to find out this is not the problem.

It might be that these MSI boards are more sensitive to issues with the PSU compared to other Tualatin boards (this is only an assumption though).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 17, by BigDaddyM

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I forgot about that, my 694T is very sensitive to PSU. Once have problems with registry error message when instaling via4in1 drivers. When i change PSU all problem were gone and whole unit was much faster

Reply 11 of 17, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'll be darned! Took my newest old ATX PSU - infamous LC Power 420W and it boots with Celeron 1200 - amazing 😁

Switched to P3-S 1.4GHz and done some OC'ing... it boots at 155FSB = 1633MHz. I don't think this particular cpu has any more juice in it 😉

Thanks guys for the tip. I always test with at least two different PSU's when something isn't right... If it wasn't for your last post BigDaddyM I certainly wouldn't go for the 3rd one 🤣

I'll test the other board later...

Reply 12 of 17, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The other board works too 😀

But it makes me wonder why? Other PSUs had worked with all my boards so far? Are these MSI somehow defect? What could be wrong? Capactiors look fine on the outside. Or are the PSUs actually bad - these are from early 2000?

Reply 14 of 17, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here is a picture of 4 PSU's tested with MSI board. All generic brands.

They are all tested and had no problems so far. That's why I wonder why would MSI boards refuse to work with Tualatin CPU and work just fine with Coppermine CPU 😕

Label: status, year made
o3tOqJ5l.jpg

Reply 15 of 17, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since the Tuallys use a lower voltage but seem to draw a similar amount power to the C-mines they probably draw a higher current which puts more stress on the VRM and if the input quality to the VRM is bad it makes that job even harder.

Reply 16 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kixs wrote:
I'll be darned! Took my newest old ATX PSU - infamous LC Power 420W and it boots with Celeron 1200 - amazing :D […]
Show full quote

I'll be darned! Took my newest old ATX PSU - infamous LC Power 420W and it boots with Celeron 1200 - amazing 😁

Switched to P3-S 1.4GHz and done some OC'ing... it boots at 155FSB = 1633MHz. I don't think this particular cpu has any more juice in it 😉

Thanks guys for the tip. I always test with at least two different PSU's when something isn't right... If it wasn't for your last post BigDaddyM I certainly wouldn't go for the 3rd one 🤣

I'll test the other board later...

BigDaddyM wrote:

I'm glad i could help. If Tetrium would not mention about PSU I would forget about it 😀 Can you write what power supplies you used?

yw, both of you 😀

The point of this forum is also to learn from eachother, so we can make eachother better and improve due to one another 😀

kixs wrote:
Here is a picture of 4 PSU's tested with MSI board. All generic brands. […]
Show full quote

Here is a picture of 4 PSU's tested with MSI board. All generic brands.

They are all tested and had no problems so far. That's why I wonder why would MSI boards refuse to work with Tualatin CPU and work just fine with Coppermine CPU 😕

Label: status, year made
o3tOqJ5l.jpg

Tbh...I wouldn't use any of the 4 you have there and I'm not really surprised these PSUs are having issues. These kinda look cheap and it would be a waste if one of these cheaper PSUs would fry a Tualatin board (Tualatin boards were always a lot less common then ordinary Coppermine boards).
Btw...I remember having had an MSI on my workbench years ago and I also could not get it to POST. I didn't know about these issues back then, but I didn't toss the board anyway (was some MSI s478 i865 board, so I was kinda disappointed when it wouldn't POST).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 17 of 17, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you like, pop the cases off those PSUs and post some pictures on the Bust a Myth thread.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder