VOGONS

First post, by sd6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've split this into two threads for the same machine as they have a different purpose: My new osborne 486-photos

I picked up a Osborne 486 machine the other day slightly different to the model that has been seen on here before and defiantly one i have not seen before myself. Unfortunately the motherboard is destroyed, there is a massive burn mark on the board+ corrosion damaged from the cmos battery and several pins from the s3 graphics chip have come loose. I'd like to find a replacement motherboard that fits the case so i can get it up and running. Most the 486 boards i can find for sale online are not suitable and are regular AT form factor boards. I believe this is an lpx form factor and it uses a riser card to allow isa cards to be connected. Have found 2 ibm boards that look like they would fit for sale in the US but the seller wants over $200 just in postage which is ridiculous. Has anyone got anything that could help me out?

20170706_201222.jpg 20170706_201306.jpg 20170706_201338.jpg 20170706_201623.jpg 20170706_201900.jpg 20170706_201918.jpg

Reply 1 of 4, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Shame... looks like it would have made a nice system.
On the other hand UK/Ukranian resellers seem to have a nice sortiment of these OEM boards for a good price... maybe you'll get lucky. Some time ago I spotted one with an on-board ET4000 chip but I highly doubt it was from an Osborne though.

Reply 2 of 4, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got an IBM PS/Value that uses the same form factor and it has a VLB connector too.

The form factor in itself seems to be LPX. It's not completely standardized, but at lead this migh help you finding a new board that could fit in it

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like Gateway also used Micronics's motherboards.
http://webpages.charter.net/dperr/micindex.htm

Funny as they were not related at all at the time, but few years down the track Gateway would purchase the bankrupt Osborne Australia company