VOGONS

First post, by tskroz110

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everybody,

Recently I got a 486 system and I've been setting it up to run some games. It origially came with an Intel DX2 66 but I thought I might as well upgrade it since I'm going to be playing games like Doom and Duke3D. So I bought an Evergreen Technologies 586 upgrade chip and replaced the DX2 with it. The first oddity I saw was that the system reported it as 40 mhz in the BIOS. I checked speedsys and it reported the proper 133 mhz.

Despite that, the improvement in performance wasn't as much as I had anticipated and it was even worse with SB16 support enabled. 😢 I decided to some benchmarks in Doom and compared them to the results on this site here: https://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/misc/doombench.html
I ended up getting a score of 2573, comparable to around a DX2, but nowhere near an Am5x86.

Honestly, I have no idea what to do or what could be causing it since I'm still not fully familiar with 486 systems. Does anybody know how I can fix this or at least tell me whats causing this? 😕

These are my specs:
CPU: Evergreen Technologies Am5x86 133mhz
Cache: 256k WT
RAM: 16 mb
Video: S3 86C805-Q 1 mb
Chipset: VIA VT82C481 & VIA VT82C495
Speedsys: 41.70

Reply 2 of 10, by tskroz110

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for the late response. The motherboard is a UNI486-3SLOT B43003-A. The bios settings were pretty limited but these settings gave me the best performance:
Cache: Internal & External
Shadow: System Bios
256k Reclocation: No
There were also settings to shadow memory at certain addresses but that didn't seem to help. The S3 is just a chipset integrated into the motherboard since I have no VLB slots. I don't think the soundcard was the reason for the performance issues since I noticed that I got a lower score in speedsys. Would it be possible that I'd need faster ram or cache chips? I noticed that my 16mb stick is 70ns and my cache is 20ns.

Reply 3 of 10, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Better post a screenshot of speedsys and maybe a shot of the board.
Everything that follows is based on vague ideas since I do not know the board's specs...
-the board's S3 chipset may internally be connected via a slow ISA bus(better knowledgeable board members may have more info here)
-maybe the board's cpu multiplier needs to be properly configured?
-does the board contain a slot for a riser card?
-the faster the ram/cache the better, but it's doubtful that inserting higher quality components will drastically increase your score since the core problem seems to lie elsewhere
-the minimalist options in the BIOS aren't helping either. On my GA486-VS8, for example. the 2nd level cache has to be set to writethrough or its performance sucks(35 vs 93 MB per sec). I do not know however if I'm missing something or the if it's the board's fault

-

Last edited by amadeus777999 on 2017-08-11, 12:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 10, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you have a turbo switch ? Maybe this is causing some problems ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 5 of 10, by tskroz110

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I checked over all the jumpers and everything seemed to be setup properly. It has a riser with 3 ISA slots and another slot on the back, but I'm not sure what it is. It looks identical to the slot the riser connects into. There doesn't seem to be any turbo button either. If the S3 has a slow bandwidth would there be any good ISA video cards that would give a better result? Also, here's the pictures of my speedsys score and the board.

Attachments

• IMG_1241.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1241.JPG
    File size
    2.27 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_1239.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1239.JPG
    File size
    1.56 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 6 of 10, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It seems the CPU runs as fast as it can. But the motherboard/chipset is slowing it down. The main memory throughput is low and VGA card is connected to ISA bus. You can't expect better results.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 8 of 10, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If your bios has option for RAM timings, try to lower them, that might help

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 9 of 10, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As already said - the bus is ISA and simply "destroys" any performance the CPU could provide. The Riser slot gives away that it's 16 bit -> see attachment for a 32 bit "riser" slot on a motherboard of similar format(taken from an "ad" for an IBM board).
Ram throughput is exruciatingly slow but maybe you can fiddle around with JK5 which goes from 25-66mhz... although I doubt that this is really the board's bus speed.
Your ISA card delievers approx. 3+ MB throughput which is pretty good - theoretically a 320x200 screen could be refreshed over 45 times a second. Have you tried running any game yet to gauge real world performance/usability... other than the Doom bench?

Attachments

• Riser 32bit.jpg
    Filename
    Riser 32bit.jpg
    File size
    77.14 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 10 of 10, by tskroz110

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The bios doesn't seem to have any options for timings, so it's extremely limited compared to a standard 486. I took a quick look at the config map for the board and it looks like JK5 is already set up as 66mhz. Other than Doom I tested Quake which ran at 8.7 fps using the timedemo command. One odd thing I noticed is despite the fact the 586 gave better results in benchmarks its memory throughout and bandwidth is slightly lower than the standard DX2's, though I have no idea why that would be.