VOGONS

Recommend a slow PCI graphics card?

Topic actions

First post, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are there any common (something you might see often on e-bay) PCI cards that operate more like ISA cards? The two ISA slots of my SS7 are filled with sound cards and the AGP card (3dfx) is too fast for some older DOS games. I've seen threads/posts about how slow the Rendition Verites are but they seem quite rare. Anything more common in the same territory?

Reply 2 of 27, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can down-clock (and have done so) the CPU and disable caches with SetMul... I'm not not sure what else I can do? The slowest the AGP CLK can go through jumpers is sync'd with the FSB @ 66Mhz, PCI slots go to 33Mhz.

Reply 4 of 27, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as I know, there is no way to down clock a Voodoo 3's core speed in DOS. It can be done in Windows but even then the 3dfx tools has a limit to how low it will let you lower the clock.

I don't have a free ISA slot for a graphics card.

Reply 6 of 27, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Specifically what games are you having problems with?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 27, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's never and issue that the gameplay itself is broken by speed (that it always the CPU) but rather that certain animations move way too fast and look off. One such game is Might and Magic III -- there are others but I can't recall at the moment.

To the topic -- are there no such PCI graphics cards or is it just that there are none that I would have an easy time finding? Since no one has mentioned any card names yet..

Reply 9 of 27, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's some very slow PCI graphics cards:
-Infotronic IMSGP2000
-Matrox Impression Plus R2
-Matrox Ultima R1
-Rendition Verite 2100
-Rendition Verite 2200
-Weitek Power 9100

All of these are about as fast as typic ISA graphics cards [edit] in MS-DOS.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 10 of 27, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lvader wrote:

animations running too fast is more likely than not still the cpu running too fast

I'm not so sure about that, in this case. At 66x2 and with all caches disabled the machine runs like a 386 that is perfect for Wing Commander. A few people here mentioned playing that particular game on a real 386 and the animations weren't crazy fast. j^aws suggested using a slower vga core and I think that makes sense -- or is least worth trying.

clueless1 wrote:
Here's some very slow PCI graphics cards: -Infotronic IMSGP2000 -Matrox Impression Plus R2 -Matrox Ultima R1 -Rendition Verite 2 […]
Show full quote

Here's some very slow PCI graphics cards:
-Infotronic IMSGP2000
-Matrox Impression Plus R2
-Matrox Ultima R1
-Rendition Verite 2100
-Rendition Verite 2200
-Weitek Power 9100

All of these are about as fast as typic ISA graphics cards [edit] in MS-DOS.

Some of these must be rare collectible cards though since they carry a high price or I simply can't find them. I'll keep an eye out though, thanks for the suggestions.

Reply 11 of 27, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here is a Weitek 9000 for $20
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FREE-SHIPPING-DIAMOND … D-/311816997595

Edit:
rendition Verite 2100 for $7.14 + shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diamond-Stealth-II-S2 … d-/172417173544

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2017-07-31, 20:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 13 of 27, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

That guy charges way too much for shipping. Shame he has some nice stuff too.

Reply 15 of 27, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
infiniteclouds wrote:

Are there any common (something you might see often on e-bay) PCI cards that operate more like ISA cards? The two ISA slots of my SS7 are filled with sound cards and the AGP card (3dfx) is too fast for some older DOS games. I've seen threads/posts about how slow the Rendition Verites are but they seem quite rare. Anything more common in the same territory?

To add to the suggestions already done here, what would your thoughts be about acquiring PCI graphics cards that were also made for ISA (and possibly VLB)?
I'm thinking mostly stuff like Ati Mach64 or Trio32.
I've understood that Rendition 2x00 is very slow in DOS. I don't remember these being slow in Windows of when using Windows games, but been a long while now since I last used the one in my friend's Pentium 166 MMX rig (and the couple I used were either used in XP (which basically all 2MB/4MB PCI cards will run into their limitations very soon) or my 486 rig...which was a poor choice from hindsight. But I didn't know any better at the time and I just wanted to use one 😁
But the really old PCI graphics cards...there should be some made in, say, 1995 to 1997, which might suit your needs?

If you want a really slow card, then perhaps underclocking by modified BIOS is the way to go? I never done this but it makes sense and it pretty much foolproof (except maybe in execution).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 27, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here is some possibly useful info on a memory overclocking utility that should allow downclocking of some commodity video cards (not sure if all PCI versions are supported or not).

http://www.geocities.ws/liaor2/myutil/mclk.html

Reply 17 of 27, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dexvx wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

When buying things, I look at the whole price including shipping. It is still way cheaper than the other cards I saw for sale.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 18 of 27, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

Well you can always ask the seller if he/she is willing to take a second look at the shipping cost.