VOGONS

First post, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So basically what the title says. These are things I've collected over time, and I think they are useful not sure if they hold any "real" value - rarity, monetary, collectability or otherwise. They are things outside my area of knowledge and collection focus. So any advice would be greatly appreciated in helping me separate the trash from the worth selling to the worth holding onto for rarity's sake.

- AWE64 Gold. Got a few of these. They sell for an alright price on eBay from what I've seen, but not sure if I should be holding onto them or not.
- AWE64 Gold Memory Upgrade Module (CT1930) - I can't find on eBay at all, selling or sold so I really have no idea on this one. Useless addon that creative used to make more money or actually makes a difference on the card?
- GeForce2 MX400 PCI - I don't think I've seen many PCI ones and I kept it because it was a curiosity to me at the time.
- Those Voodoo 4/5 fans with 3dfx on them instead of AAVID. Again, not sure if they are everywhere or if they are collectible. It's just a sticker on a fan, right? 😖
- ATI Radeon 2600XT Engineering Sample - engineering samples are pretty cool, but I don't know if they are rare enough to be collectible on cards of this age.
- Voodoo2 8MB - does anyone even want these to *use* when there are 12MB cards out there, or are they just something people sit on to complete their collection?

Thanks for the insight guys.

Reply 1 of 9, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AWE64 Gold are really good cards apparently (I wish I had one). The memory upgrade allows you to load bigger and better soundfonts in the sound card and thus increasing the sound quality

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 9, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
x0zm_ wrote:

- AWE64 Gold. Got a few of these. They sell for an alright price on eBay from what I've seen, but not sure if I should be holding onto them or not.

AFAIK, Gold has a bigger ROM than Value and AWE32/SB32 and comes with better stock soundfont, so it should sound better as is. So I'd probably hold onto one of them.

- AWE64 Gold Memory Upgrade Module (CT1930) - I can't find on eBay at all, selling or sold so I really have no idea on this one. Useless addon that creative used to make more money or actually makes a difference on the card?

They are quite rare, even the 8MB. The difference comes under Windows where you can use extra memory for soundfonts. I have one, but never bothered to try it, because I have a Dreamblaster X2 and Yamaha SW60XG and don't like the idea of loading soundfonts after each reboot. If I'm going to play around with soundfonts under Windows, I might use a PCI soundcard already.

- Voodoo2 8MB - does anyone even want these to *use* when there are 12MB cards out there, or are they just something people sit on to complete their collection?

Might be useful for Pentium 1/MMX builds when you don't have a V1, and V2 is bottlenecked.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 3 of 9, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
x0zm_ wrote:

These are decent cards, but their FM synthesis is less desirable than a true Yamaha OPL3.

x0zm_ wrote:

These are quite valuable, depending on the capacity (8-24MB). They allow the loading of improved SoundFonts for better MIDI performance.
http://www.electromyne.de/Sound-Cards-Creativ … ichermodul.html

x0zm_ wrote:
- GeForce2 MX400 PCI - I don't think I've seen many PCI ones and I kept it because it was a curiosity to me at the time. - Thos […]
Show full quote

- GeForce2 MX400 PCI - I don't think I've seen many PCI ones and I kept it because it was a curiosity to me at the time.
- Those Voodoo 4/5 fans with 3dfx on them instead of AAVID. Again, not sure if they are everywhere or if they are collectible. It's just a sticker on a fan, right? 😖
- ATI Radeon 2600XT Engineering Sample - engineering samples are pretty cool, but I don't know if they are rare enough to be collectible on cards of this age.

Thanks for the insight guys.

The fans would be nice, and some people still buy the 8MB Voodoo2, but, as you've surmised, the 12MB is more valuable.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 4 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AWE64 Gold - Definitely desirable.
AWE64 Gold Memory Upgrade Module (CT1930) - Probably even more desirable now the AWE64 Simmconn Adapter is out of production
GeForce2 MX400 PCI - Good fast card for systems without AGP, desirable to the right person
Voodoo 4/5 fans with 3dfx on them instead of AAVID -Can image these selling for a few bucks to collectors wanting everything original
ATI Radeon 2600XT Engineering Sample - Like you said It'll go to some collector, no idea on price though
Voodoo2 8MB - its a Voodoo 2, It'll sell, Someone recently was using it purely for dos gaming.

I can imagine some of the less desirable, say the V2 8MB will become more desirable as availably dries up. I myself settled on a Awe32 Value as refused to pay the going rate for a full version with true OPL3

Being in Oz (aka Arse end of the world) helps you, Feel bit spoilt here in the UK having Europe on my doorstep and US not that far to keep shipping cost down

Reply 5 of 9, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The memory upgrade module was mainly for those using the soundcard for synthesizers I believe? Few gamers switched sound fonts since it would often lead to horribly wrong sounding music being played.

The AWE64 Gold is definitely a gem since it's the best ISA card you can have for DOS games (although I'm not always a fan of the AWE32 music - it often sounds too roomy and airy if you know what I mean).

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 6 of 9, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The "3dfx fans" are called "Thermshield fans" by the community. They are generally sought after and collectable. (I prefer them over the AAVIDs)

People wont pay you a fortune for them, but they belong to the Voodoo cards and I have seen a bunch of them missing fans.
Please dont toss them 😀

Here is electromyne's former price on the CT1930:
http://www.electromyne.de/Sound-Cards-Creativ … ichermodul.html

166,66 €

I think these are "fair MSRPs":
- AWE64 Gold = 20-30 bucks

- AWE64 Gold Memory Upgrade Module (CT1930) - 30 - 80 bucks (the price strongly depends on whether there will be an new SIMMconn production)

- GeForce2 MX400 PCI - 15 bucks (w/o box)

- Those Voodoo 4/5 fans with 3dfx on them instead of AAVID = 3-7 bucks per fan (which is pretty good for an old part that has mechanical wear!

- ATI Radeon 2600XT Engineering Sample - 20 - 60 bucks - depending on how interested the buyer is, but I wouldnt go higher than that.

- Voodoo2 8MB - 20 - 40 bucks

Reply 7 of 9, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The memory addons go for over $100 even at 8MB capacity. The combined 12MB on an AWE64 Gold is enough for all the most popular soundfonts. They aren't worth the same as Roland and Yamaha MIDI boards to me, but for some reason that is what the market says.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 8 of 9, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes and if he sells it for 120, the next one will be sold for 140...
You have to decide for yourself if you want to make as much money as possible or just pass the hardware on for a decent amount of money.

It is just EDORAM on a board afterall. And from what I heard there will be new SIMMconns soon, right?

Reply 9 of 9, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recommend holding out for a while longer but keep this in mind that you might not be able to replace them should you desire to rebuild your collection unless you are ok with going to the cleaners. Those 3DFX fans are thermal shield fans and they are worth more because of the fancy sticker on them. Those cards will only get more valuable unless the economy implodes like it did in 1929 or something crazy like that.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.