VOGONS

First post, by tizzdizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found a local CL ad for a Sony Vaio, clean with original Sony CRT and Boston Acoustics 3Pc speaker setup for $50. Sounds kinda high, but might be worth looking at and seeing if they'll take less. I'm just curious what the consensus is on these tower computers?

Here are the blurry ad pictures:

vaio1.jpg
Filename
vaio1.jpg
File size
36.6 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
vaio2.jpg
Filename
vaio2.jpg
File size
29.01 KiB
Views
File license
vaio3.jpg
Filename
vaio3.jpg
File size
36.29 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 2 of 12, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
amadeus777999 wrote:

Depends on if it is a P4 or earlier

If I can read the blurry specs sticker correctly, it looks to be a PIII, which definitely matches up time-wise with the Word 2000 logo and what appears to be a WinME logo that I also see.

Reply 6 of 12, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it's really a PIII, and you're into that, then it might be a cool catch. I have two of these(both P4s) - one with RDRam.
The cases are sturdy, compact(µATX), somewhat "modularized" and as mentioned already... if Greenpeace doesn't rescue that little CRT, then...
*Unesco music fading in*
...it's up to you.

Reply 7 of 12, by tizzdizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Man, I have to pass on it for now. I need to unload a few before I get more systems. But I'll check back in with this person in a week or two...

It's so tempting but I gotta pull back sometime!

Reply 8 of 12, by RkivOrange

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a 20-year-old Sony Vaio PCV-120 running right next to me. Right now, it's hooked up to a Mitsubishi Megaview 33" CRT monitor through VGA breakout to RGBHV 5xBNC, and I just re-installed Need for Speed: High Stakes on it. It was a machine that has been with me since the age of 2 (and you can assume I am 22 right now which I am) and I've rediscovered it in a basement around 6 years ago. From time to time, I would fool around with it and play old games. It used to have a tape drive and an old 3.5 GB HDD, but I took those out a year ago and replaced them with two XP-era 80/60 GB 7200rpm drives. I know it's not period-correct, but if I can enhance my vintage 1990s hardware PC gaming experience by exchanging a little bit of authenticity for a smoother experience at a better price (these drives were just laying around my house in other, broken computers), then I will go for it. As it stands today, the specs are:

CPU: Intel Pentium 200MMX @ 200 MHz
RAM: 32 MB EDO, 66 MHz FSB
GPU1: ATI 3D Rage II, 2 MB, Integrated
GPU2: Diamond Multimedia Monster 3D (3DFX Voodoo1), 4 MB, PCI, Iceman drivers
AUD: Yamaha OPL3-SA Sound System, Integrated
HDD1: Western Digital 80 GB 7200rpm IDE
HDD2: Deskstar 60 GB 7200rpm IDE
LAN: Dynex Ethernet PCI (forgot model #)
OS1: Windows 98 Second Edition, 98Lite Preview "Sleek"
OS2: Windows NT 4.0 Workstation Service Pack 6
DirectX: 6.1 for 98SE, 5.0 Beta mod for NT4

The computer is fantastic, IMO, but I was thinking about upgrading it again for its big birthday this year, such as maxing out the RAM to 128 MB, maybe upgrading the video, or adding in a sound card. I wonder if there are any places or recommendations to find these things, and I welcome suggestions on what to do with it here. What do you think?

Reply 9 of 12, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Vaio laptop coming in right now. Pentium 4-M with a Mobility Radeon 9200, 60GB hard drive, and 1024x768 screen. I'll report back on build quality as soon as it arrives and performance later after that.

I had a Core2Duo T5500 based one some time ago. It was my first laptop. This thing started its life running Vista and ended running Windows 10 (which it worked fine for 480p YouTube streaming hours a day). It eventually died because I got mad and slammed the lid shut killing the hard drive after which it sat for so long it fell into a state of udder disrepair. Had one of the early LED screens. I reduced it to parts a while back. Overall it was a good laptop.

IMO, that's a good deal for any matched set if it all works and the CRT is in good health. You don't see sets very often anymore. Especially not with CRTs because so many people chucked them for LCDs in the early 2000s due to power savings or eyestrain reduction.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 10 of 12, by RkivOrange

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bumping this thread since the 128 MB of EDO RAM came in the mail yesterday for my Vaio. I've installed it and it works fine. There wasn't any huge difference, but with it, Windows NT gaming performance more or less equaled that of Windows 98SE, whereas before it was noticeably far behind. I've also learned yesterday (after installing the new RAM) that in idle, NT takes up about 22 MB of RAM, at least in my installation. I don't really want to go back and install the old RAM to see if the size of NT's footprint changes, but 22 MB was pretty much most of 32 MB.

The next step in my 20th Anniversary upgrade is probably the CPU, which I am debating right now. It currently has a Pentium 200MMX, but I was considering upgrading to an AMD K6/300AFR, which is reasonable in my price range. Only problem is, I think the mobo in the Sony is an Intel, and they notoriously locked out any usage of AMD chips during the Socket 7 years, but it's possible this might be an exception. It has an AMIBIOS version 1.00.10.DD04, and in the boot screen there's a copyright notice to Intel Corporation. I may be screwed when it comes to AMD, but I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to this, and I could maybe use help. Who knows? It might work out of the box or I'd just have to modify the EEPROM or BIOS or something. And of course, I can always upgrade to a Pentium 233MMX if that doesn't work.

Reply 11 of 12, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I picked up almost the exact same model off CL a couple of years ago for $10. I wanted it just for the monitor, which turned out to be bad (black dust on the inside of screen). But the computer itself was modular and very well constructed. It had a fast P3. Here's the thing that surprised me: the whole thing was made in Japan. Loved the quality, but I just didn't have room for it and ended up selling it on eBay a year or so later.