VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While checking the references of all the caps of my sb 16 cards I figured out something quite interesting :

IMG_20170816_120014.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170816_120014.jpg
File size
1.13 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The CT1740 and the CT2700 are EXACTLY the same except for the CD drive part (and the DSP being v4.12 on the 2700 rather than v4.05 on the 1740)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 21 of 23, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool, thanks for that piece of information! 😎

Personally, I don't think DSP 4.12 is a deal-breaker. Using another sound card for MIDI is good, anyway,
since it can provide cleaner audio than the SB16 series ever could.

The primary reason I like the CT17xx is the fact that it is such a reliable and trustworthy card.
Games detect it easily and it keeps its settings no matter what.
Second, I also like the deep, low bass it has (for PCM/FM). In dark games like Descent this become quite apparent.
Maybe the CT27xx series is the same ? I hope so. I'd rather have some retro noise (hence the term Noise Blaster)
than a tin, flat but clear audio. The only other card which I'm familiar and I think has both is the PAS16.
It has a mixer with bass/treble and surround feature. But I have used that in my 286 days and Descent requires 386+, so I can't judge. 😅

By the way, did you ever see a CT1730 in wild life ? That card was apparently the first SB16, so I heard.
But for some reason I can't find any picture(s) of it, no matter how much I try.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 22 of 23, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's not a deal-breaker for me too, I'll just use that SB16 in one of my other computer that just needs sound (even though now I've go many many sound cards, sb pro clones, other sound blaster 16, etc)

I've never seen any CT1730. The CT1740, the CT2700 and the CT2770 are the only SB16 I own that have the OPL3 chip. The other ones are Vibra 16 or stuff like that ...

I'll buy new capacitors and new 780x soon, so news about this are coming ^^

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 23 of 23, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay so today I replaced the two 780x regulators as well as the two biggest caps ... and I discovered that I was just stupid ... I was just not setting mixerset properly ... though mixerset changed it's settings everytime I swapped the card for some reasons so this is half mixerset's fault too ...

Anyways, problem solved I guess ...