VOGONS

First post, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have been restoring an old Gateway 450 system which has a Intel branded 440BX motherboard in it. I removed the Slot 1 P-III 450MHz 100FSB CPU and installed a MSI Slotket with a P-III 850MHz 100FSB CPU. Here are the items I purchased.

Slotket board:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MSI-6905-Socket-3 … 872.m2749.l2649

CPU:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-INTEL-PENTIUM-3-I … 872.m2749.l2649

I left the Slotket board at all auto detect CPU jumper settings. The system turned on fine and detected the CPU properly in the BIOS which was updated to the latest. The system ran fine for a few hours and then the transistor that feeds the CPU on the motherboard just suddenly caught on fire. This has happened now twice and two motherboards have bit the dust. Could I be dealing with a bad designed Slotket. I have tried two different boards of the same model. Nothing else got fried except the motherboard's transistor. I am at loss what it could be. I am going to, at this point, just skip the whole Slot 1 motherboard altogether, but I can't figure out what is causing the failure. You would think if it was having power issues it would be immediate, but it takes a while for it to happen. Brand new Corsair SF450 450W SFX PSU by the way.

jumpers.jpg
Filename
jumpers.jpg
File size
222.25 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by liqmat on 2017-09-28, 17:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 56, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TOBOR wrote:
J1=SHORT J3=SHORT 1-2 J4=SHORT 2-3 […]
Show full quote

J1=SHORT
J3=SHORT 1-2
J4=SHORT 2-3

JV4=2-3
JV3=2-3
JV2=NC
JV1=NC
JV0=2-3

Any other combo might cause you problems.

So you think the auto jumper settings may be selecting the wrong voltage? I was wondering if it might be that.

Last edited by liqmat on 2017-08-25, 05:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 56, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

What's the model of VRM that cooked?

On this board it is really hard to read. I will try to make it out tomorrow. I now have two of these boards and they look like they have a few duplicate mosfets so I was thinking about moving some over and retesting with the slotket hard jumpered to the exact voltage of the CPU which is 1.75. If it is that it surprises me the auto voltage setting was such a catastrophic failure.

Reply 5 of 56, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

What's the model of VRM that cooked?

Ok. I got the best photos I could for you. I am not an electronics expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I can pump out a decent job with a solder station. If I use incorrect terminology or call something that it isn't please correct me. Learning as I go.

Photo 1 shows the first board that blew and it looks like to me the best candidate for repair as the traces look in tact (blue circle). The board looks to use the same mosfets around the CPU slot which I circled in red. Hard to make out for me, but maybe you can make sense of it.

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
1.01 MiB
Views
File license

Photo 2 shows the second board that blew and the locations of what appears to be the duplicate mosfets. Blue circle is the damage and this blow looks like it had collateral damage.

2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
1.15 MiB
Views
File license

Photo 3 shows a clearer image of the mosfets being used around the CPU slot on the second board.

3.jpg
Filename
3.jpg
File size
944.49 KiB
Views
File license

Photo 4 is yet another zoom in on the other mosfet on second board.

4.jpg
Filename
4.jpg
File size
830.63 KiB
Views
File license

Photo 5 is just to show off the aftermath from the eruption on board 2 before I cleaned it up a bit..

5.jpg
Filename
5.jpg
File size
776.3 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by liqmat on 2017-08-25, 15:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 56, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TOBOR wrote:
J1=SHORT J3=SHORT 1-2 J4=SHORT 2-3 […]
Show full quote

J1=SHORT
J3=SHORT 1-2
J4=SHORT 2-3

JV4=2-3
JV3=2-3
JV2=NC
JV1=NC
JV0=2-3

Any other combo might cause you problems.

Both times I had my jumpers set to the following so it would auto detect the CPU:

J3=SHORT 1-2
J1=SHORT
J4=SHORT 1-2

I set J1 & J4 to this as I thought "CPU define" would be an auto detect setting (as the box shows). but maybe that is a problem?

JV4=1-2
JV3=1-2
JV2=1-2
JV1=1-2
JV0=1-2

Set JV0-JV4 to this for auto detect voltage.

Either auto detect sucks on this slotket and doesn't work or I am misunderstanding what "CPU define" means on J1 & J4. Hopefully that clarifies.

Reply 7 of 56, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do these mainboards officialy support Slotted Coppermine-core Processors? Coppermine core normally requires voltages of 1.65 to 1.75V. But early Slot-1/Socket 370 motherboards precede this requirement.

Do these mainboards UNofficialy support Slotted Coppermine-core Processors? Which usually means: Does the actual VRM (I do not mean the blown component, but the 'ICS' branded chip) support voltages below 1.8Volt?

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 8 of 56, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:

Do these mainboards officialy support Slotted Coppermine-core Processors? Coppermine core normally requires voltages of 1.65 to 1.75V. But early Slot-1/Socket 370 motherboards precede this requirement.

Do these mainboards UNofficialy support Slotted Coppermine-core Processors? Which usually means: Does the actual VRM (I do not mean the blown component, but the 'ICS' branded chip) support voltages below 1.8Volt?

Good point and I don't know. The P-III 450 that was in there was 2v and I assumed in my ignorance if it could handle a 2v CPU it could handle a lower voltage 1.75v Coppermine. Would a lower voltage CPU cause this sort of issue?

Reply 9 of 56, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I never dared to try that. My guess is: on a poorly prepared motherboard one of the Voltage request signals is unsupported and gets ignored, so what you may get instead is a totally unexpected core voltage. On a properly prepared mainboard it would detect 'voltage request is unsupported' and will refuse to boot.

It is about the 'VID' (voltage Selection) pins on the processor. These are connected (usually directly) to the VRM Chip. Attached is VRM specification 8.4 which was made to support coppermine core. One thing to do is to look up the datasheet of your particular VRM chip. If voltage bottoms out at 1.8V a common trick is to select 1.8V with the slotket, which is pretty close to 1.75V.

Attachments

• vrm-84-binary.gif
    Filename
    vrm-84-binary.gif
    File size
    8.44 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 10 of 56, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When replacing the blown transistor (SOT-23, I think), you have to match up the part codes. A20, for instance, is a JFET and would have to be replaced by the same channel type JFET.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 11 of 56, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:

I never dared to try that. My guess is: on a poorly prepared motherboard one of the Voltage request signals is unsupported and gets ignored, so what you may get instead is a totally unexpected core voltage. On a properly prepared mainboard it would detect 'voltage request is unsupported' and will refuse to boot.

It is about the 'VID' (voltage Selection) pins on the processor. These are connected (usually directly) to the VRM Chip. Attached is VRM specification 8.4 which was made to support coppermine core. One thing to do is to look up the datasheet of your particular VRM chip. If voltage bottoms out at 1.8V a common trick is to select 1.8V with the slotket, which is pretty close to 1.75V.

So let me ask you this. If the CPU voltage request is possibly being ignored and I set the slotket jumpers from auto to hardwired 1.75v will that possibly do the trick? I have a newer Socket 370 D815EEA Intel board, but to my surprise it performs worse than the older Intel 440BX board. I don't know if the newer 815E chipset is at fault or because the older board is auto detecting the CPU and it may be unintentionally overclocking it and that's why I get better performance hence it burning up after awhile? Trying to decode the puzzle. I thought I was pretty knowledgeable at hardware after decades of doing this, but during the time Slot 1 and later was coming out I was strictly using AMD CPUs back in the day. I feel like I am coming into this completely new again. It feels refreshing and lame at the same time, but at least I am learning something.

Reply 12 of 56, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No problem, but I think my previous post answered your voltage question already? All this is speculation, which may or may not apply to your motherboard, you have to first find the motherboard documentation and VRM datasheet.

As for the performance, I don't know. The i440BX was told to be a fast chipset, though not that it should be really noticable compared to the i815.

Reply 13 of 56, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:

No problem, but I think my previous post answered your voltage question already? All this is speculation, which may or may not apply to your motherboard, you have to first find the motherboard documentation and VRM datasheet.

As for the performance, I don't know. The i440BX was told to be a fast chipset, though not that it should be really noticable compared to the i815.

I just went through my emails and I remember now that luckybob had warned me I might have to overvolt the Coppermine to 1.8v and that should not be a problem. From reading parts of the following doc I guess I should have applied 1.8v to the slotket. What I don't understand is why 1.75v, being a lower voltage, would fry that component, but I'm guessing a chain of events happen and it is not as simplistic as I am thinking. Page 5 sort of indicates this if I am understanding it right. I believe this Intel board adheres to the chart on page 29 of the PDF link attached below.

"Another side effect of lowering voltages of some components is the existence of
multiple voltages within the system. On a basic Slot 1 processor-based system board there
will be 1.5V for GTL+ termination, 1.8V to 2.8V for the processor, 2.5V for CMOS non-GTL
signals, 3.3V for the chipset and the L2 cache, and 5V for other components. The possibility that
any of these voltages may come up before another must be taken into account. This is discussed in
Section 3.3."

http://db.zmitac.aei.polsl.pl/Electronics_Fir … ts/24333202.pdf

Reply 14 of 56, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I looked it up for you, the VRM does not mention Pentium III/VRM-8.4 compliance, but can supply 1.75 Volt nonetheless.
"SC1185CSW" -> http://www.semtech.com/images/datasheet/sc1185.pdf -> "1.3V to 3.5V Pentium ll microprocessor supply"
So the Vcore problem should not apply to your motherboard. (To be 100% sure you have to measure Vcore with a multimeter while running the system.)

Reply 15 of 56, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:

I looked it up for you, the VRM does not mention Pentium III/VRM-8.4 compliance, but can supply 1.75 Volt nonetheless.
"SC1185CSW" -> http://www.semtech.com/images/datasheet/sc1185.pdf -> "1.3V to 3.5V Pentium ll microprocessor supply"
So the Vcore problem should not apply to your motherboard. (To be 100% sure you have to measure Vcore with a multimeter while running the system.)

Interesting you started a thread years ago that was very similar.

(im)Possibilities wit Slotket CPU adapters?

The post from Tetrium in that thread helps the most. Looks like Intel boards do not play well with slotkets and I have also read the voltage regulators are stressed more with slotkets and some mobos don't last long before they blow. All starting to sound familiar. I am going to stick with a Socket 370 at this point and skip Slot 1 all together.

(im)Possibilities wit Slotket CPU adapters?

Reply 16 of 56, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It could just be a matter of Vds-on * Icore being too much for those little transistors with a higher TDP Coppermine chip.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 17 of 56, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After talking with a few people who PM'd me I guess they also have 440BX boards that play fine with certain Slotkets so I am at loss what the issue is. Could be an Intel branded mobo thing. I will clarify this is the MSI revision 2 Slotket that is supposed to be much more compatible with more motherboards. I do appreciate everyone's input, but at this point the D815EEA will have to do for my Windows 98SE build. I really wanted the single ISA slot on that 440BX board for driving a couple of floppy drives (mobo BIOS only supports one floppy drive annoyingly), but I'll have to pony up some cash and build a proper period correct DOS machine down the road. I have an almost factory mint ITT Xtra XP machine I am testing that I want to exchange data with easily so having a proxy machine with proper floppy drives will make that job easier (may setup a serial connection instead). Makes me regret selling my pristine full tower DX4-100 decades ago. Oh well, as they say, hindsight is 20/20.

Reply 18 of 56, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had experience with a number of these socket-to-slot converters at the time. One thing I remember well is that quality varies greatly. As they weren't officially endorsed by Intel, care is required. We had so many failures with the cheaper units, that we started refusing to sell anything but the more expensive units from the likes of Asus or Abit. Those were usually pretty good, and produced stable systems; even when the others appeared to work initially, the systems would almost always fail to pass pre-shipment testing. In the cases where I was ordered to release systems without testing, they always came back. Save yourself the trouble, and use only the best adapters, or don't bother with them at all.

Use the jumpers to set what you can, without depending on auto-detection. If they can still be had, find an adapter with its own voltage regulation and quality capacitors on-board. I don't remember the part numbers, but they used to be available.

Reply 19 of 56, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I chose the MSI MS-6905 Revision 2 board because I had read it was a high quality conversion board. A member from this forum sent me this attachment with Intel's recommendations of tested SSAs. Found it interesting. If I do decide to give it a go again I will not be using an Intel board and I agree with you 640K!enough, I will not be relying on any auto jumper settings anymore just to be safe.

Filename
Intel® Pentium® III Processor - Slot To Socket Adapter (SSAs).zip
File size
49.26 KiB
Downloads
57 downloads
File license