VOGONS

Video and Sound card suggestions

Topic actions

First post, by Groovy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just found these at work today and had to bring them home, I rarely see socket 7 motherboards with USB ports. I would like some suggestions from people who know old tech for sound and video cards. Computer recyclers usually get in a few 90's PC's every month and since the parts usually get recycled for scrap I thought I'd try to build a few for fun. I accredit this to watching too much Phil's Computer Lab and Lazy Game Reviews on YouTube. Any help would be appreciated since we don't usually get in too many older video cards so I will be shopping auction sites so I want to find something good for DOS win 95 & Win 98 gaming.

Soyo SY-5XA 430TX
Intel Pentium MMX 233MHz
Apacer 512MB RAM
Vantec Heatsink/fan

OHouOUf.jpg?2
jrqPg5D.jpg?2
jZVopEP.jpg?2

Last edited by Groovy on 2017-08-29, 04:26. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 29, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

your image embeds don't work for anyone other than you. You should probably leave Photobucket unless you plan to pay them for a paid account.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2 of 29, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can't see photos 😢
USB ports are common on ATX socket 7 boards.
512MB RAM is too big for 430TX chipset.
Either voodoo1 or voodoo2 would be good for your build but they are pricey. TNT2 M64 would be much more realistic.
Soundblaster AWE32 with OPL3 would be good for sound, but might not be easy to find. Pick AWE32/64 if you favor GM or SB16 with OPL3 if you favor FM.

Reply 4 of 29, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Groovy wrote:

Do you mean the 3dfx V2 Voodoo 2? I have seen a few of these while working but did not know they were worthwhile. Also working on finding a new photo host

They can be sold easily for 50~70 a piece on ebay, and more than double if you can find a matching pair.

Reply 5 of 29, by Andy1979

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Your photo shows both SIMMs and DIMMs fitted - not sure if the board will like that. 430TX tops out at 256mb, but can only cache 64mb, so you might find that it runs faster with 64mb RAM unless you genuinely need lots of memory. Back in the day I think I had 32mb fitted, so 64mb should be plenty.

If you go with a Voodoo 1 or 2 card you'll also need to budget for a 2D card to go with it (they connect together using a pass-through cable). You wouldn't need that with a TNT based card.

After a few bad experiences buying used Sound Blaster 16 cards I decided to get a brand new Yamaha Audician 32 plus ISA sound card from eBay and it works great in both DOS and Windows 95.

Notice that you have a CF card adapter. I've found the Transcend Industrial CF cards work quite well. It's hard to buy smaller capacity CF cards these days.

My Retro systems:
1. Pentium 200, 64mb EDO RAM, Matrox Millennium 2mb, 3DFX Voodoo 4mb, DOS6.22 / Win95 / Win98SE
2. Compaq Armada M700 laptop, PIII-450, Win98SE
3. Core2Duo E6600, ATI Radeon 4850, Win XP

Reply 6 of 29, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just noticed the updated photos. A single stick of 256MB SDRAM is still too big for 430TX to handle. The following table lists the supported SDRAM configurations and yours use 256Mbit chips in 64M x 4bit configuration.

Attachments

Reply 7 of 29, by Groovy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That is the way we received this MB in a box with the 4 sticks of RAM installed, the other RAM it came with is two sticks of Hynix that I will look up and leave pictures below. I haven't found the Soyo manual for the SY-5XA yet. I did however find a few old parts in some new boxes that were dropped off at work. I will upload some pictures of the video and sound cards later this evening. I ended up with a Hercules Dynamite and an ATI Graphics Xpression Mach 64 New in the box I guess I will save these for later since I cannot use these on my MB. I did find two that might work but I haven't found info on these yet other than Video 7 and Wind X super VGA adapter on the box I also have a few sound cards that I need to look up.
PsxIOgx.jpg?1
laCueg2.jpg?1
TDIMMS2.jpg?2
DK4RtZd.jpg?1
wdMbxs6.jpg?1
Z0wlivR.jpg?1
MKgMAo5.jpg?1
GLYNH8m.jpg?1

Reply 8 of 29, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The hynix DRAMs are 32MB per stick so you will have 64MB EDO DRAM in total which is quite amber for 430TX.
These video cards, except for the one with FCC ID D2A1024IPLUS, are quite nice items to keep.

Reply 9 of 29, by Groovy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The card with FCC ID D2A1024IPLUS is the only card that had no documentation or driver floppy's in the box so I wondered if it was any use. As for the RAM there are 3 slots and I am sure that I can find another 32MB stick at the shop would 96MB be at all beneficial? I could also find 2 128MB sticks of the PC133 or 3 sticks of 64MB I started building computers in 2003 and have never built using these old parts so I am not used to a MB that can accept either of 2 types of RAM, I just hate what happens to these parts if no one wants them. It seems that all anyone at work is interested in is anything made since 2012 and newer.

Reply 10 of 29, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Groovy wrote:

The card with FCC ID D2A1024IPLUS is the only card that had no documentation or driver floppy's in the box so I wondered if it was any use. As for the RAM there are 3 slots and I am sure that I can find another 32MB stick at the shop would 96MB be at all beneficial? I could also find 2 128MB sticks of the PC133 or 3 sticks of 64MB I started building computers in 2003 and have never built using these old parts so I am not used to a MB that can accept either of 2 types of RAM, I just hate what happens to these parts if no one wants them. It seems that all anyone at work is interested in is anything made since 2012 and newer.

The board has 3 DIMMs and 2 SIMMs. The hynix sticks are SIMMs so you can't fit 3 of them. And 96MB exceeds the max cacheable size of 430TX in writeback mode.

Reply 11 of 29, by Groovy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you I had thought it had 3 of each slots, I will take your advice and just stick with the 64MB and the SBT WInd/X video card (found an old article in COMPUTE! magazine. I don't know about the drivers I didn't see them in VOGONS Vintage Driver Library but they must be out there. Now I need to decide between 2 sound cards and find a case to mount these in.

Reply 12 of 29, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Groovy wrote:

Thank you I had thought it had 3 of each slots, I will take your advice and just stick with the 64MB and the SBT WInd/X video card (found an old article in COMPUTE! magazine. I don't know about the drivers I didn't see them in VOGONS Vintage Driver Library but they must be out there. Now I need to decide between 2 sound cards and find a case to mount these in.

The STB Wind/X card uses S3 86C911 chip so you can look for drivers for that. It's too old for your build. It's probably the first ever chip made by S3, so it has more collectible value then real use.
One more thing, the SIMMs on 430TX board must be populated in pairs so you can't use the third one even your board has 4 SIMM plots.

Reply 13 of 29, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

FCC decode on D2A1024IPLUS says it is:
Headland Technology Inc 1024IPLUS - Video Card
The following USENET post implies that it has a Video7 chip: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp. … isc/UK6wa-cRL8A
This is all, of course, seen in your photo.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 14 of 29, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Groovy wrote:

If you can, see if you can scare up a PCI graphics card for that board - an S3 Trio, S3 Virge, Matrox Millennium/Mystique/G200/G400/G450, etc. (Of those I'd favor the Matrox G400/450 if you can find a PCI one.) Performance, even for 2D games, will be dramatically better. The ISA card will work in the interim, though.

Which sound cards are you trying to decide between?

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 15 of 29, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lazibayer wrote:
Groovy wrote:

Do you mean the 3dfx V2 Voodoo 2? I have seen a few of these while working but did not know they were worthwhile. Also working on finding a new photo host

They can be sold easily for 50~70 a piece on ebay, and more than double if you can find a matching pair.

If you come across anything with 3DFX, grab it.
Pretty much any card is worth something

Reply 16 of 29, by Groovy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I will keep an eye out for the Matrox and 3DFX cards next week. Today I found a few sound cards one of which is a Creative CT2940, the others I haven't looked up yet other than the Turtle beach N270. I plan to use the Sound Blaster unless I hear that one of the others would be any better. I found a Enermax Noisetaker EG325P-VE 325W PSU that was working so I think it will be enough. I still need to find a decent Beige case for these parts and the CD, 3.5 floppy, zip drive, and the undetermined 5.25 floppy drive. If there is a favorite 5.25 floppy drive please let me know since there may be some repairs needed and I will have to find 2 or 3 to make 1 good drive, I am going to look for Teac and Sony unless there is a more reliable brand. Thank you all for the help so far.
ajMwTcx.jpg?1
FFAbVjI.jpg?1
HJOqmXc.jpg?1
MjROimB.jpg?1
9HfjRXZ.jpg?1

Reply 17 of 29, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The CT2940 card is a CQM version which is more common but less desired than its OPL sibling.
The orange OPTi card has the OPL chip and wavetable header as well. Good for games with background music in MIDI.
The Aureal Vortex2 8830 card is highly appreciated in Win95/98/ME games with A3D support.

Reply 18 of 29, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The green opti card has a "DSP24" chip which is a perfect OPL3 clone. It should sound the same

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 19 of 29, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a gray rug here like the one in the pics and it's a great source of static electricity - I'd keep your cards off it if possible.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.