VOGONS

First post, by rfsapiens

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello people,

I have my super socket 7 retro PC rig fully working (which consists on a AMD K6-III+ cpu @ 550 MHz on a Alladin V motherboard (Iwill XA100 Plus) with 512MB SDRAM PC100 Memory and a Nvidia Geforce FX5900ZT Graphics card) I have it doing dual boot with windows XP and windows 98SE all is working fine on Windows XP but on Windows 98SE I have random lockups on direct3D and openGL games... I changed the drivers to the 45.23 ; 52.16 version; 53.34, 56.64 all work (the 56.64 is the driver that works better than the others because those drivers won't even assume AGP acceleration at all) but then I have random lockups or even the system sometimes won't start on 98SE staying stuck in the boot for no aparent reason. On Windows XP I have it all stable with 52.16 drivers.
The problem is that I tried everything on this Win98SE installation and also changing the AGP drivers to 1.80 and 1.72 and 1.60 and all is behaving the same way.... Sometimes the system is stable but then when I restart it it doesn't work anymore unless I go to safemode and remove the nvidia drivers... The 6x.xx drivers causes BSOD on 3D so they're out of the question.
What should I do? Switch to an AGP 2x ATI card like the 8500 / 9500 or so which is cheaper than some old Geforce 3 cards?
I'm looking forward to hear a reply from you soon and thank you in advance for your kind attention and support. 😀

With the best regards,

Rfsapiens.

Last edited by rfsapiens on 2017-09-05, 23:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 4, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you are willing to sacrifice performance for stability you may disable AGP entirely by replacing AGP driver with standard PCI-to-PCI bridge driver. If it works you may try disabling part of the AGP features by tools like powerstrip.
ATI 8500 is AGP 4x and 9500 is 8x.

Reply 3 of 4, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

replace that fx5900 with something more appropriate (like a tnt or geforce 2), reinstall win98 and it should work fine.

super 7 rigs don't like "newer" video cards. I had the exact same issues you are describing with a FX5900XT and a 6600GT AGP. The fastest card I could get my K6-3 to run stable with is a Leadtek Gf4 Ti4200, but it performed so much worse then it shroud, so I swapped it with a Geforce 2 PRO.

Reply 4 of 4, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What said above. The main culprit is the poor power supply on the AGP slot. Additionally. the more stress you put on the motherboard by adding RAM and using an older K6 III processor or overclocking it, the more frequent crashes you get. You still might have luck with a Geforce FX, like me. But not with the flagship models. I am using an 5500 and actually underclocking it in desktop use to facilitate better heat dissipation. Max Payne dials in full clocks 😀

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."