VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, much to my chagrin, it looks like I'm going to have a couple of capacitor replacement projects on my hands. What are good brands of replacements to buy? (And where should I get them?)

I've heard so many stories of fakes and counterfeits I'm a little leery of ordering bulk lots on Ebay. I do have a local shop that deals in components like that, but I don't know what they carry or where they get them. Just after pointers on which to look out for.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 10, by TOBOR

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Badcaps.net
There is a link to the Store in the upper left colume. Chris is a good guy to buy from. All genuine caps no fakes. Hurry because he is shutting down the Store sometime next year.

If the truth hurts, tough shit.

Reply 2 of 10, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Japanese brands are the best. Nichicon, Panasonic, Nippon Chemi-Con.

If you have multiple projects, you might be looking at a big enough order to make it worth going to one of the major online dealers: Mouser, Digikey, Farnell, etc. Their catalogs allow you to match capacitor dimensions and ESR's very closely where necessary.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 3 of 10, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pretty much what firage said

Just want to add that I've been ordering from digikey forever, I make a checklist of parts I want and place an order from them every now and then. If you just need a few caps it can be annoying because of the shipping costs so it's best to just buy yourself everything you could possibly need in one fell swoop 😀

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 4 of 10, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BeginnerGuy wrote:

Just want to add that I've been ordering from digikey forever, I make a checklist of parts I want and place an order from them every now and then. If you just need a few caps it can be annoying because of the shipping costs so it's best to just buy yourself everything you could possibly need in one fell swoop 😀

I almost exclusively use digikey, just because of how fast their shipping is (next day for $8, which is unheard of here). I usually order extras in quantity (especially if there's a price break at 10 or so), that way I've built up a good stock of parts.

Reply 5 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
firage wrote:

Japanese brands are the best. Nichicon, Panasonic, Nippon Chemi-Con.

If you have multiple projects, you might be looking at a big enough order to make it worth going to one of the major online dealers: Mouser, Digikey, Farnell, etc. Their catalogs allow you to match capacitor dimensions and ESR's very closely where necessary.

+Suncon (Sanyo). Elna is sometimes found in audio gear. It's excellent for that purpose.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 10, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tend to favor Nichicon in critical places (PSU, board VRMs) because they are cheaper than Panasonic and it's pretty available at reputable shops (Farnell, TME).
I also used lower quality caps (Teapo/Yageo, Elite). Some Teapos bulged again after a couple of years. Elite are too fresh to form an opinion.
For audio I'd look into audio forums. They usually recommend some of the Panasonics.

Reply 7 of 10, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
probnot wrote:
BeginnerGuy wrote:

I almost exclusively use digikey, just because of how fast their shipping is (next day for $8, which is unheard of here). I usually order extras in quantity (especially if there's a price break at 10 or so), that way I've built up a good stock of parts.

+1 but I goto mouser.com here in the states.

Also I only buy Nichicon caps. I've done at least 10 boards, never once had an issue.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 9 of 10, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Decided to start with this, I don't know if it's a particularly useful card but it looks easy to work on and there aren't too many 512MB AGP boards around.

5-projectcard.JPG
Filename
5-projectcard.JPG
File size
376.45 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

But yeah, just look at these.

1-eww.JPG
Filename
1-eww.JPG
File size
341.56 KiB
Views
File license
2-nope.JPG
Filename
2-nope.JPG
File size
185.65 KiB
Views
File license
3-yuck.JPG
Filename
3-yuck.JPG
File size
253.52 KiB
Views
File license

Eww.

They're all the same brand: SAM YOUNG (or rather, SΛM YOUNG, because someone presumably played too much Hλlf Life.) So don't buy them.

4-whomadethem.JPG
Filename
4-whomadethem.JPG
File size
284.51 KiB
Views
File license

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 10 of 10, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A couple of them even left behind this nasty crust:

8-crust.JPG
Filename
8-crust.JPG
File size
184.28 KiB
Views
File license
9-punk.JPG
Filename
9-punk.JPG
File size
226.11 KiB
Views
File license

Fortunately it cleaned up pretty well with some isopropyl.

10-cleaned.JPG
Filename
10-cleaned.JPG
File size
421.2 KiB
Views
File license

Of course one of them was under this sticker, so I had to void the warranty.

7-void.JPG
Filename
7-void.JPG
File size
220.66 KiB
Views
File license

Ah well...

Tomorrow I'll go see what my local place has in stock, otherwise it's order time.