VOGONS

First post, by Kynrek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed 98micro from the 98lite product. I had two issues that I was able to overcome and I just though I'd share.

The first issue was easy, the Voodoo3 drivers would not install without internet exporer 4 or higher. Luckly 98lite allows you to go to add remove programs and you can just add internet explorer as a windows feature (this still keeps it from integrating into windows explorer so you keep your speed)

The second issue is simple to fix but it was a pain. I installed the windows 98 USB mass storage drivers that I found from Phil's Computer Lab's website usb33e. After installing the drivers and rebooting I couldn't even get into windows because explorer would cause an illegal operation and crash. I found a newer version of the mass storage drivers usb36e but had the same issue. I found that you can actually extract usb33e.exe and see the contents. Sure enough there is a copy of explorer.exe that ends up replacing your windows explorer.

I reinstalled 98micro and copied explorer.exe from C:\windows in my 98micro install into the extracted usb33e folder and overwrote the explorer.exe then ran the batch file to run the installer and sure enough everything worked!

Reply 2 of 2, by ratco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cool!
I actually messed around with that about a year ago. Great experience no doubt 😀
I have actually gotten the full win98lite to make a custom installation which was neat but it gave me HELL TROUBLE to get it to work. And I feel your pain, I actually had to get usb working another way... I used the usb driver from windows 95... ingenious right? The explorer that 98lite uses is more compatible with 95 so it worked.

Another option would be to simply install msdos 7.10 and win98 gui on top (https://web.archive.org/web/20050306014829/ht … dos71/index.htm). never did that myself. Kinda lost interest in windows lately... crappy software in many ways, though 98 was cool in some otther ways...