VOGONS

First post, by Åskblad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello folks,

I recently picked up a free Dell Dimension XPS P166s in excellent condition, which as the name suggests, runs a non-MMX Pentium 166. Since it's a socket 7 I know it's physically possible to swap for an AMD K6, but how will the BIOS stack up with the counterpart? Anyone tried this? 😕

(AFAIK, Dell's first-ever AMD implementation was the Turion in their Latitudes ~10 years later...)

Reply 4 of 6, by Åskblad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
emosun wrote:

the money? they are pretty cheapo just buy a bunch and try em all

well they indeed are, I'm just not a fan of waiting, and not 100% sure about the voltages (although they say both CPU's want 3.3v I/O). 😕

Reply 5 of 6, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd get the PMMX anyway. I find them much better for running Dos programs due to the speed tuning options available.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 6, by Åskblad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

I'd get the PMMX anyway. I find them much better for running Dos programs due to the speed tuning options available.

All the DOS stuff I (currently) play runs great on the 166, I was more thinking of making it a "hybrid" machine for newer games like Interstate '82, Bugatron, Diablo II, NFSHS and Sports Car GT, yet still being able to DOS without division by zero errors. The K6-III 400AFR should be about 150% faster than the P166 and from what I've read, those CPU's will avoid RTE200. The 1996 system has also PC66 SDRAM, so beefed up with a faster CPU, it might be quite potent after all.

Currently waiting for an auction of a 300MHz chip to end, and will update to anyone else wondering. I can't be the only one left with an operational XPS...