VOGONS

First post, by JeffBai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm currently waiting for parts to come in via mail, for a "sleeper" IBM NetVista project (I'll share it here later once I've got some sort of results). My current parts inventory is as follows...

- IBM NetVista A40p (old "desktop" style, mATX)
- ASUS A8N-VM CSM (GeForce 6150/nForce 430)
- AMD Athlon64 FX-60
- 4 * 1 GB OCZ Platinum Edition (2-3-2, PC3200)
- SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS
- PCIe 1x USB + Firewire 800
- 2 * WD740GD (RAID 0 via motherboard)
- Maxtor MaxLine II 300GB (hella noisy but hey it works)
- NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra (Dell OEM for reference design and a card bracket)
- Systium ST450-SFX FSP450-60GHS, 450W, 80 Plus Bronze

Also planned...

- 2 * 80MM Noctua fan replacement (one goes to the front intake, other goes to the back - glued in or tape mounted - for exhaust).

All parts are on the way... But I could always swap them out later - and sell, perhaps. If you guys have any suggestions please do enlighten me!

Best Regards and Thanks in Advance...
Mingcong Bai

EDIT: Changed title as plan has changed to move away from a 7950GX2 for a 8800 Ultra.

Last edited by JeffBai on 2017-10-08, 19:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 11, by JeffBai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oops, missed the PSU - which should be sufficient with this setup...

- Systium ST450-SFX FSP450-60GHS, 450W, 80 Plus Bronze

Oh yeah... If you guys have any suggestions in regard to this build please do enlighten me!

Reply 4 of 11, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JeffBai wrote:
elod wrote:

Nope, not that case.

Huh?

These Netvista cases have very low airflow. Appropriate for a P3 with no or low power video cards. Your SFX PSU will fit exactly one mounting hole as far as I remember. You'll need a piece of metal to fix it properly.

Reply 5 of 11, by JeffBai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elod wrote:
JeffBai wrote:
elod wrote:

Nope, not that case.

Huh?

These Netvista cases have very low airflow. Appropriate for a P3 with no or low power video cards. Your SFX PSU will fit exactly one mounting hole as far as I remember. You'll need a piece of metal to fix it properly.

It does suffer from that before an exhaust fan was added then everything works at ~65C (I currently have a XP 3200+ and an AIW X800XT in it.

As to the PSU that's exactly what happened to me... Plus the IO Shield...

Reply 6 of 11, by JeffBai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elod wrote:
JeffBai wrote:
elod wrote:

Nope, not that case.

Huh?

Speaking of the PSU... What form factor is it actually? Considering the shape it does fit with a SFX12V, but the bottom two screw holes, if the PSU was mounted with the top one screw, is some 5mm short...

Reply 7 of 11, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JeffBai wrote:

Speaking of the PSU... What form factor is it actually? Considering the shape it does fit with a SFX12V, but the bottom two screw holes, if the PSU was mounted with the top one screw, is some 5mm short...

It's nonstandard for sure. I think they wanted a larger fan than what SFX allows for to pull out the heat. We had a lab with Pentium 4 Netvistas with esentially the same case, they only put a 60mm fan behind! the PSU.

Reply 8 of 11, by JeffBai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elod wrote:

It's nonstandard for sure. I think they wanted a larger fan than what SFX allows for to pull out the heat. We had a lab with Pentium 4 Netvistas with esentially the same case, they only put a 60mm fan behind! the PSU.

Interesting... I guess some mounting tape between the gaps should stabilise it well enough, won't look very good though unfortunately. Same goes for the exhaust fan above the IO area, where I had to employ the same method, but it does well enough.

Reply 9 of 11, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JeffBai wrote:

Interesting... I guess some mounting tape between the gaps should stabilise it well enough, won't look very good though unfortunately. Same goes for the exhaust fan above the IO area, where I had to employ the same method, but it does well enough.

You only need a piece of sheet metal (an IO shield will do nicely), cut it to length, drill 2 holes in the case and use rivets to fix it on the outside of the case. Then drill a hole for the screw that will fix the PSU.
I'm still worried about airflow, but at least you get a standard SFX in there 😀. The original PSUs were ok but kids decided to switch some to 110VAC instead of 230.

Reply 10 of 11, by JeffBai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elod wrote:

You only need a piece of sheet metal (an IO shield will do nicely), cut it to length, drill 2 holes in the case and use rivets to fix it on the outside of the case. Then drill a hole for the screw that will fix the PSU.
I'm still worried about airflow, but at least you get a standard SFX in there 😀. The original PSUs were ok but kids decided to switch some to 110VAC instead of 230.

Yep, when I get my hands on some power tools I'll try that...

As for airflow, we'll see. But in light of the graphics card, I've decided to go for a 8800 GTX/Ultra instead just to save some trouble - and I would be able to play around PCSX2 more easily anyways... I'll change my title and update this thread into a "in-progress" and "advice needed" thread.

Reply 11 of 11, by JeffBai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What I have so far...

- SoundBlaster Audigy 2ZS (OEM? Installation CD from Vogons download says it didn't detect any Audigy 2 ZS last I tried in Windows 2000...).

sfINjqdl.jpg

- "Sausage Link", front panel/LED/fan assembly, with an "adapter" from the proprietary 8-pin IBM connector to PC compatible cables (just a simple split).

j3fIzsml.jpg

- And of course the machine itself, along with a NEC LCD1700V (1280*1024).

C52vPZ7l.jpg