VOGONS

First post, by muon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi! I would like know if anyone has got the table for setting DIP switch of Soyo 5AXE motherboard. I own the manual but the information is not complete: the manual has got some examples, but not the exactly setting for the clock and for the Clock multiplier

I would like to change the CPU to AMD K6 2 or perhaps K6 III and I need that information

Thanks in advanced

Reply 1 of 19, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
muon wrote:

Hi! I would like know if anyone has got the table for setting DIP switch of Soyo 5AXE motherboard. I own the manual but the information is not complete: the manual has got some examples, but not the exactly setting for the clock and for the Clock multiplier

I would like to change the CPU to AMD K6 2 or perhaps K6 III and I need that information

Thanks in advanced

I can help you figure it out but I need more input from you.
How to interpret the multiplier setting is determined solely by the CPU, and the only variable on the motherboard side is how many jumpers/switches does it provide. So how many multiplier switches are there on your board?
The clock is determined by the clock generator, usually located near the CPU and/or the clock switch block. If we can find the generator's datasheet and map the documented clock settings onto it, we can chart a complete table for clock settings. So can you tell me the model number of the clock generator and the clock settings on your board's manual?

Reply 2 of 19, by muon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi lazibayer!!

I found this information
------------------------
officially: K6-2 running at max. 4.5x66=300 MHz
tested: K6-2+ running at max. 6x75=450 MHz
tested: K6-III running at max. 4x75=300 MHz
(note: The tested K6-III will not run at the documented 2.1V setting
with a higher speed. However, other K6-III/K6-III+ grades with lower
voltage or power requirements might achieve higher speeds as well)
-----------------------------
here: http://www.k6plus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f= … eb77b9b57ced032

The jumpers setting here http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/S/SO … 5XA5-5XAE5.html

and the manual http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Soyo/ma … 586/m5xae20.pdf

I would like to set 75x6 (450) or 66x6 (400), but the 6x Clock multiplier information is misssing.

Reply 3 of 19, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Following logical deduction I reckon SW1, SW2 and SW6 are in charge of sending multiplier information to the CPU and SW3, SW4 and SW5 decide the bus speed. To get the undocumented multipliers:
SW1 SW2 SW6
5x: Off On On
5.5x Off Off On
6x On Off Off

Rule of thumb: K6-2 CXT takes Intel's 2x multiplier input as 6x.

I have also noticed:
SW3 ~ 5 can give you 8 combinations of bus speed settings but the manual only shows four: 50, 60, 66 and 75. JP30 has 5 pins to control the core voltage but the manual only shows 6 options. I can try to find the undocumented options if you can tell me the models of the clock generator and the voltage regulator.

Reply 4 of 19, by muon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi lazibayer!

I don't know what you mean with:
"Rule of thumb: K6-2 CXT takes Intel's 2x multiplier input as 6x."

I do apologize : my english is very limited

Anyway, I took some pictures of the mainboard:
https://mega.nz/#F!XFMTBajB!9YFJ3w3QXqVqnl_oCXe90A

Please, tell me if you need more.

Thanks in advanced

Reply 5 of 19, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you set it to 2x it will run 6x

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 7 of 19, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
muon wrote:
Hi lazibayer! […]
Show full quote

Hi lazibayer!

I don't know what you mean with:
"Rule of thumb: K6-2 CXT takes Intel's 2x multiplier input as 6x."

I do apologize : my english is very limited

Anyway, I took some pictures of the mainboard:
https://mega.nz/#F!XFMTBajB!9YFJ3w3QXqVqnl_oCXe90A

Please, tell me if you need more.

Thanks in advanced

Thanks for the pictures! Your board has ICS9148BF-04 clock generator so it can support up to 83MHz bus speed. Here is the logic table:
file.php?id=37662&mode=view

Your board has HIP6008CB voltage regulator and it can supply 2.0v to 3.5v core voltage.
file.php?id=39073&t=1

Reply 8 of 19, by muon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks a lot lazibayer, for the info.
I've been studying the info and I have two questions:
1.- 60 Mhz setting : the information in the manual doesn't match with the yours (the others (66,50,75) are the same!!)
2.- I can not get a correlation between voltage regulator VID0, ViID1, VID2, VID3 in your picture and the JP30 (second picture) in the board (or the info in the manual)

Regards,
muon

Reply 9 of 19, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
muon wrote:
Thanks a lot lazibayer, for the info. I've been studying the info and I have two questions: 1.- 60 Mhz setting : the informatio […]
Show full quote

Thanks a lot lazibayer, for the info.
I've been studying the info and I have two questions:
1.- 60 Mhz setting : the information in the manual doesn't match with the yours (the others (66,50,75) are the same!!)
2.- I can not get a correlation between voltage regulator VID0, ViID1, VID2, VID3 in your picture and the JP30 (second picture) in the board (or the info in the manual)

Regards,
muon

For the bus speed, the mapping is:
SW3 -> bit 4
SW4 -> bit 5
SW5 -> bit 6
on = 0
off = 1

I'll check the voltage settings later.

Reply 14 of 19, by Chkcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Apollonios,

Yes, the Soyo 5XAE will run the K6-2+/450 at the rated 450MHz (6 x 75). This was tested using the latest 5xae-1a7 BIOS from 03/03/1999, however the POST screen incorrectly identified this K6-2+/450 as "-MMX CPU at 66 MHz" and a util was necessary to enable Write-Allocation.
Also the IDE harddisk support is of this BIOS is limited to 32GB.

If you are running the 5xae-1a7 BIOS (03/03/1999-i430TX-W977-2A59IS2FC-00) now, I can patch this BIOS for full K6+ and 128GB harddisk support.

In return, I like your help with testing this patched BIOS with a K6plus CPU. Just let me know. 😉

Greetings, Jan

Edit: corrected typo

Last edited by Chkcpu on 2022-02-06, 18:03. Edited 1 time in total.

CPU Identification utility
The Unofficial K6-2+ / K6-III+ page

Reply 16 of 19, by Chkcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice that you can test this patched Soyo 5XAE BIOS. 😀
I will send you the BIOS and the test procedure via PM, and report back here when the BIOS works as planned.

Jan

Reply 17 of 19, by Apollonios

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi @Chkcpu Unfortunately, I have only just got around to setting up the system. I wonder what the maximum CPU is that would run with your modding bios? Since I want to install a PCI TNT 2, it is important to me that the CPU is fast.

Reply 18 of 19, by Chkcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Apollonios,

With the modded BIOS, the maximum performing CPU that would run on the Soyo 5XAE is the K6-III+/500.
With the maximum possible multiplier of x6.0, this means that the FSB must run at 83MHz. This is a large overclock from the regular 66MHz for this 430TX chipset and may not be stable on your board.
The next lower FSB setting of 75MHz, producing 450MHz CPU speed, usually works without problems.
You can also use a K6-2+ CPU, which has just a tiny bit lower performance than a K6-III+.

I'm out of town at the moment and I will send you the patched BIOS by PM later this week.

Jan

Reply 19 of 19, by Chkcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Apollonios,

I've send you a PM with the patched SY-5XAE BIOS and a test procedure.
When you have the K6-2+ or K6-III+ CPU, let us know how it works.

Cheers, Jan