VOGONS

First post, by lordnikon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a balanced Socket 462 build going on a modern PSU with a Radeon 9600 XT, however someone recommended I look into a newer GPU that draws from the 12V rail to get a bit more graphics performance while not taxing the 5V rail.

• Is adding a 12V rail GPU going to add balance to a 462 build by shuffling the power draw over to the under-utilized 12V rail on a modern PSU?
  • What AGP cards post Radeon 9000 era draw from the 12V rail?
  • Do these cards still draw any power from the AGP socket? or do they tap the 12V rail over the molex/6-pin connector exclusively?
  • I know there are game compatibility concerns both in terms of drivers, and hardware, as newer hardware tends to have some issues. Known red flags here would be useful.

Any insight into this would be great.

Reply 1 of 3, by Auzner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wouldn't worry about it.
9600 XT is AGP powered, which is up to ~48W. The card itself is a max of 22W. It's only going to need a couple amps from whichever rails.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerated_Gra … wer_consumption
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/30/radeon-9600-xt

...Unless you're putting eight ultra 160 drives in raid0 in this, then you should mention that. 😜

Also by "modern" PSU I assume you mean something that's <=400W and has all of those rails provided. Go by the label on the PSU. Post a picture or transcribe it here if still concerned.

Reply 2 of 3, by Auzner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I didn't see there was already a project origin thread with more info. I would have had more context and had more advice the first time around: Socket 462 mATX build: modern, silent, and future proof

Reply 3 of 3, by lordnikon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I created a seperate thread as I was treating it as a standalone question unrelated to my in-progress Socket 462 build, as I felt this question could benefit from a more focused discussion.

Basically, if one wanted to use a high TDP Athlon XP/Sempron, and pair it with say a 9800 Pro/XT (striving for equal pairing and minimal cpu or gpu bottleneck), they would run into issues with a modern PSU.

To still achieve this result, a 12V rail reliant AGP card could offset a Socket 462 machine's reliance on the 5V rail, thus making Socket 462 more feasible on a modern PSU.

Candidates for this could be:

• Radeon X7xx/X8xx Series
  • Radeon X1000 Series
  • Radeon HD 2000 Series
  • Radeon HD 3000 Series
  • Radeon HD 4000 Series

(I am not sure what the exact nVidia equivelants would be, feel free to add.)

I did do a lot of research prior to starting this thread, and there are a lot of discussions talking about Socket 462 power packages, but almost all of them talk about Radeon 9xxx series rather than newer cards. Maybe a thread exists on this that I haven't found, or nobody has fully explored this yet.