VOGONS

First post, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Was wondering if there has ever been a retail package/box (besides the OverDrive CPU's) for Intel's 386 and 486 series? I understand, that custom PC building wasn't really a thing back then in the 80's and early 90's but still...
I've tried to find some images with the usual search engines but couldn't find anything useful.

Reply 2 of 10, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most stores that sold computers back then just sold computers and stuff like hard drives, CDROM kits etc in retail boxes but I never seen a CPU. Math coprocessors did come in retail boxes.
Custom PC building was a thing back then, you just ordered with a phone and a credit card from a place out in CA that got shipments in from Asia directly. People also ordered from mail order catalogs like computer shopper or from traveling computer shows. The thing is all those places got chips in trays and just packaged them for shipping. They were like a grey market for chip overstocks from the major manufactures of computers that needed to dump inventory.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 3 of 10, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember ads in the usual print magazines from the early 90's with price lists for PC components including CPU's. So yes, I agree, custom PC building was a thing to a certain extent. Would be interesting to see a 386/486 box if there ever was one.

Reply 4 of 10, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back then when I built 486 computers the motherboards definitely had retail boxes, although almost all of them were completely generic, without any branding other than stuff like "Mainboard" or "Computer Motherbard".

But I never saw boxed processors (besides the overdrives) until around the PPro/MMX era. Generally the processors would already be installed in the motherboard or in some sort of tray/foam when sold separately.

Reply 7 of 10, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

386 based maybe RapidCAD, what was 486DX in a 386DX pinout.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 9 of 10, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Unknown_K wrote:

Most stores that sold computers back then just sold computers and stuff like hard drives, CDROM kits etc in retail boxes but I never seen a CPU. Math coprocessors did come in retail boxes.
Custom PC building was a thing back then, you just ordered with a phone and a credit card from a place out in CA that got shipments in from Asia directly. People also ordered from mail order catalogs like computer shopper or from traveling computer shows. The thing is all those places got chips in trays and just packaged them for shipping. They were like a grey market for chip overstocks from the major manufactures of computers that needed to dump inventory.

Or they got them from microcenter