VOGONS

First post, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am considering a purchase. But like to know does it support 320x200 320x240 and other smaller resolutions.

And hw is the picture and overall usability.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audio-VGA-to-HDMI- … 5%257Ciid%253A1

Or do you use something else, some other model?
Because i have some modern TV-s and i like to hook up old computers with VGA.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 1 of 8, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

who needs a lag machine? the cheap scart->hdmi adapters add ~7 frames of lag, I don't see this being any better

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 8, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok thats good to know, that scart adapters have 7frame lag, but in reality, do those VGA to HDMI have the same 7frame lag, because 1-3 frame lag i can handle.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 3 of 8, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyberdyne wrote:

But like to know does it support 320x200 320x240 and other smaller resolutions.

320x200 and 320x240 do not really exist on the VGA cable. These formats have scanline doubling and since pixels are analog, there is nothing in the world that can distinguish 320x200 from 640x400@70Hz/720x400@70Hz analog formats and 320x240 from 640x480@60Hz analog format, they use the same timing.

Having said that, 640x480@60Hz should be supported but 640x400@70Hz may not be supported if the converter device has no frame buffer so it could frame rate convert it to 60Hz.
Many monitors and TVs also don't support 70Hz formats even if the converter box did.

keropi wrote:

the cheap scart->hdmi adapters add ~7 frames of lag, I don't see this being any better

7 frames added by an adapter sounds a lot, but I believe it if you say so.

To my knowledge, no scaler chip utilizes the frame buffer for more than 4 fields if interlace and 2 fields if progressive input, but forcing them to do frame rate conversion may cause the delay to be somewhere between 2-3 frames.

Also, TVs are not as good as monitors and both of them have lag due to signal processing through frame buffers. Even when TVs are manually put into "game mode" to get lower lag there can still be a significant lag seen, even using a Windows PC with a TV is just something you really don't want to do for anything else than showing photos or presentations.

Reply 4 of 8, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry I made a mistake - it is 6 frames I remembered it wrong -> http://krsthink.blogspot.gr/2017/10/video-ups … amemeister.html
Saw the link in one of retrorgb's weekly roundup videos and he also found it to be the same so that was the confirmation this converter is not made for gaming purposes.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 8, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have two of those cheap VGA2HDMI devices, and they work like a charm for me. They convert everything to 1080p. 320x200 is actually 640x400 on the cable, as mentioned, and that was no problem.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 6 of 8, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have tried a number (4 or 5) of them precisely because they were cheap and none of the ones I tried supported normal dos resolution or text modes. They do work with 640x480 or higher, as in standard windows resolution. 640x400 did not work on a single one of them.

After testing those I bit the bullet and got something with proper documentation and real support for pretty much any resolution VGA can carry in the form of a gefen VGA to DVI converter. They work perfectly and they can be found regularly on ebay for a quite affordable price. most are inside the US however, so shipping can cost quite a bit (I paid about the same for shipping as for the device, still below 80 Euro total).

One thing to note if you want to get one, they tend to come without PSU and the specs say they use a 2A 5V PSU. Hoever, in my experience with the converter you really need a 3A one, the device actually uses all that power and the 2A PSUs I have here were not able to provide enough for stable use. A 3A PSU solved that.

Reply 7 of 8, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scali wrote:

I have two of those cheap VGA2HDMI devices, and they work like a charm for me. They convert everything to 1080p. 320x200 is actually 640x400 on the cable, as mentioned, and that was no problem.

Please send me the exact model or link.

Reply 8 of 8, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cyberdyne wrote:

Please send me the exact model or link.

I just checked the Ebay link where I bought it some time ago. It's no longer available.
I don't see it listed anywhere else.
I'll have to see if I can find the manual somewhere... It's some random Chinese thing, but perhaps I can find some brand and/or model on there.

Edit:
These look like the ones I have: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VGA-to-HDMI-Converte … ox/282382690051

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/