VOGONS

First post, by Betelgeuse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The rev. 1 P5P800 does not support the Cedar Mill stepping of the P4. I'd like to use this board for a Windows XP build to mess around with late-model AGP cards, I know there was a modded BIOS that allows for this CPU stepping to be used. Anyone have access or know where to get the BIOS or how to mod the official BIOS? Thanks.

Reply 1 of 9, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IMO, best bet is to get an Asus P5PE-VM (i865G/LGA775). It has native support for Conroe X6800.

Edit: Checked eBay, just a few months ago, they seemed plentiful and going for around $30. Hmm...

Reply 2 of 9, by Betelgeuse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, ordered one along with a Core 2 X6800 (for $40 for both) to see what I can get out of some of these old AGP cards. Particularly want to see how the Matrox cards and Voodoo5 5500 do with this CPU.

Reply 6 of 9, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:

For practical purposes, pretty much all 3.3V only AGP cards will be bottlenecked by a high end P3 system.

That's why you get a KT333 and stick a 3200+ on it, or grab one of those rare(ish) universal AGP socket 478 SiS board and stick a 2800MHz prescott in there.

Reply 8 of 9, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kanecvr wrote:
dexvx wrote:

... or grab one of those rare(ish) universal AGP socket 478 SiS board and stick a 2800MHz prescott in there.

I have one like that, although the 2800 is a northwood, not a preshott 😎.

Reply 9 of 9, by Betelgeuse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll probably be testing mainly with a 128MB Matrox Parhelia and maybe a G400 MAX card just to see how they perform. The Parhelia is interesting due to its AA implementation but I know on period hardware it's performance was underwhelming, don't expect that to change much even with an X68000 CPU but it should be fun to mess around with!