VOGONS

First post, by Aglenoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone , i found an old PC containing this little beauty however i have noticed that one of the capacitors has been changed since it seems someone tried to solder it there (seems quite ugly) iam scared that it will short my motherboard or my only ISA slot , I also noticed that voltage of this capacitor is higher 25 V compared to others 16 V i havent studied anything connected with elecrical engineering and i havent soldered anything this small, so what should i do ? Try it and risk my only isa slot ? Or try to desolder cap and get same as other ones ? Or trash it? I have also tried to find out what original cap should be like and o havent found any info about it the cap is labeled C80 if someone has same card i would be grateful if he/she could look it up.

I thank to everyone who tries to help me , please forgive me for my quite bad english.
Aglenoth

Attachments

------------------------------------------------
Pentium II 266 MHz
Diamond Voodoo Monster II 12 Mb
S3 trio 64v+ 2Mb
ESS AudioDrive 1868f
10Gb fireball HDD
256 Mb Ram
------------------------------------------------

Reply 1 of 2, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is there to filter +5v to GND. You definitely don't want a straight connection between those two pins. It would be worth removing that excess solder, cleaning with some alcohol, and re-soldering. The larger voltage rating on the cap isn't a big deal.

Ideally, the cap is there and doing its job. If there is no cap, it should still work. If the two solder points are bridged, that is really bad.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 2 of 2, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
002.JPG
Filename
002.JPG
File size
173.56 KiB
Views
File comment
SB 16 CT-2950 Front
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
004.JPG
Filename
004.JPG
File size
134.8 KiB
Views
File comment
SB 16 CT-2950 Sticker
File license
008.JPG
Filename
008.JPG
File size
142.73 KiB
Views
File comment
SB 16 CT-2950 C80
File license

I have the same card. The C80 capacitor is a 10uF 16 Volt +85 Deg. C electrolytic. See the last photo above for orientation of the negative lead (polarity is important). If you try to replace the capacitor, the voltage rating should be 16 V or greater. Looks like the manufacturer is marked as ELGEN.
Good luck!