VOGONS

Reply 20 of 31, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Where did you get it at that price? Do they have one more? 😁
Also, one of the dip switches allows to choose between 0 and 1 wait states, and there is also a jumper for ram compatibility - forgot which one, but it's all in the manual.

Reply 21 of 31, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got it from Poland. The board does require some work though, I think it has to do with memory timing. Which version of the manual are you reading? Mine mentions jumpers, but no DIP switch. I'd love to have a look at it and set it to 1 wait state, as when I put 4x256 (for 1Mb) I get "invalid Switch" error JUST as the ram count begins. If I put in 70NS 1Mb SIMMS, it boots OK but later it crashes. I put 60NS RAM in there now and it's quite a bit more stable.

Please share manual! 😁

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? [https://www.ebay.ca/sch/the_kombinator/m.html … =1&_ipg=&_from=] my eBay! [/url]

Reply 22 of 31, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, if you have another compatible 286 board, I'll outright trade you (or even a low spec 386SX).

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? [https://www.ebay.ca/sch/the_kombinator/m.html … =1&_ipg=&_from=] my eBay! [/url]

Reply 24 of 31, by Retroit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for bumping old thread. Do you manage to repair you MB? I got the same MB, but it has broken BIOS and on vogons none of listed aren't work with my MB. Could you post here a BIOS dump of all you MB 286 with Headland chipset?

Reply 25 of 31, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Keatah wrote on 2018-04-17, 03:04:

Can you post (or pm me) edge-on photos of the crack? I'd like to see how close the wires are. And I've repaired microSD traces smaller than the bond wires in standard ICs.

Sorry for being a few years too late, somehow I managed to miss your post. I actually thought about this and took some macro photos, but no bond wires can be seen.

Retroit wrote on 2021-08-03, 09:33:

Sorry for bumping old thread. Do you manage to repair you MB? I got the same MB, but it has broken BIOS and on vogons none of listed aren't work with my MB. Could you post here a BIOS dump of all you MB 286 with Headland chipset?

I now have another two working Fox M boards, but sadly the original one is still broken (it works if I swap the PAL chip from one of the working boards). So if anyone knows someone that can clone such a PAL, please let me know.
Anyway, here's the BIOS:

Filename
Octek Fox M.rar
File size
45.51 KiB
Downloads
12 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Good luck with reviving your board!

Reply 26 of 31, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hkzlab has made the DuPAL dumping system: https://github.com/DuPAL-PAL-DUmper
It goes through all pin combinations to derive the full function of a PAL chip.

That would require putting together the PCB, but it's really great that there's a possible solution now 😀

Reply 27 of 31, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This looks really interesting !

I think I'm gonna build my own and try to reverse engineer PALs I see on various things

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit Ultimate Retro - Project's thread The Ultimate Retro project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 28 of 31, by Retroit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
quicknick wrote on 2021-08-07, 20:10:
Sorry for being a few years too late, somehow I managed to miss your post. I actually thought about this and took some macro pho […]
Show full quote
Keatah wrote on 2018-04-17, 03:04:

Can you post (or pm me) edge-on photos of the crack? I'd like to see how close the wires are. And I've repaired microSD traces smaller than the bond wires in standard ICs.

Sorry for being a few years too late, somehow I managed to miss your post. I actually thought about this and took some macro photos, but no bond wires can be seen.

Retroit wrote on 2021-08-03, 09:33:

I now have another two working Fox M boards, but sadly the original one is still broken (it works if I swap the PAL chip from one of the working boards). So if anyone knows someone that can clone such a PAL, please let me know.
Anyway, here's the BIOS:
Octek Fox M.rar
Good luck with reviving your board!

Thank you for BIOS dump. I'll try it as I get some free time.

Reply 29 of 31, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From

quicknick wrote on 2022-01-06, 02:47:
Darn, this brings back memories... […]
Show full quote

Darn, this brings back memories...

The chip labeled 089-001 seems to be common between our boards, but the similarities end here. The Fox M is also equipped with 090-103 and 090-110, whereas your board has a 090-101 and a mysterious/optional one right next to the battery (board works fine without it, from what I understand following the dosforum.de thread). Nevermind that, I guess I'm too tired. That board also dead as a stone, maybe 3rd PAL is not optional after all...

The chipset pins don't look very bad (un-salvageable) at first glance, but it's hard to tell without higher resolution pictures.

I'll attach the chipset's datasheet here, maybe your board is built according to the reference schematic (Fox M obviously isn't, as it features a third PAL).

Obviously, if you manage to get it going, I'm still very much interested in the content of the 089-001 chip. Although I have amassed a bunch of working Fox M boards, I still want to cross the original one off the "to be repaired" list. 😁
Headland GC101-102.pdf

No luck with the PAL chip so far? I went ahead and recreated PAL equation from datasheet, seems to be working as intended at Proteus simulation.

===============================================================================
Chip Diagram
===============================================================================

RAS6080 x---|3 18|---x !CAS0L
RAS40 x---|4 17|---x !CAS0H
MEMW x---|5 16|---x ERD
RAM1CAS x---|6 15|---x !RAS0
RAM0RAS x---|7 14|---x !CAS1L
EMEMR x---|8 13|---x !RAS1
XA0 x---|9 12|---x !CAS1H
GND x---|10 11|---x XBHE
|______________|
Filename
U49PAL_HEADLAND_286.zip
File size
44.59 KiB
Downloads
10 downloads
File license
Public domain

Reply 31 of 31, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SSTV2 wrote on 2022-01-06, 10:34:

No luck with the PAL chip so far? I went ahead and recreated PAL equation from datasheet, seems to be working as intended at Proteus simulation.

Few days have passed. And another month on top of them. Only today I was able to find time to set up the board and try your JED file, programmed it into a ATF16V8B but no luck unfortunately. The board still gives the "no RAM" error, so I guess there are some differences between the reference design and my board. Could be some pins shuffled around, or maybe different/more functions are implemented.
Thank you very much for your effort!