VOGONS

First post, by Zeecor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I just got another motherboard (TMC PCI48AG-0.00 http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/T/TM … -0-PCI48AG.html) for my 486 hoping to use my AMD 5x86 133 and a faster PCI GPU.

The first problem is that I can not figure out how to set the multiplier to 2 in order for the CPU to set a internal multiplier of 4. Right now it's set to 3 and with a bus of 40MHz the CPU is running at 120MHz.

The second problem is my GPU (S3 Virge/DX 86C375 4MB). Every time I reset the PC with CTRL-ALT-DEL or if Windows wants to restart I get no image on the screen and 2 short beeps from the PC speaker. The screen stays black until I shut the PC down and start it again. After installing the drivers for Windows 95 I get crashes with artifacts on the screen and 8 short beeps followed by 2 short beeps. I have tested the GPU on a socket 370 motherboard with no issues at all.

From what I have found out 2 short beeps with AMI BIOS is "Memory parity error" I have tried with a single 8MB stick, two different single 32MB sticks and both of the 32MB sticks at once.

8 short beeps is "Display memory read/write error" could that be caused by a crashing driver? This is the driver I installed: http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … 931&menustate=0

All seems to be fine with 256 colors but it crashes fast with 24-bit colors.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    Filename
    1.jpeg
    File size
    2.34 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Drivers
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 3.jpeg
    Filename
    3.jpeg
    File size
    2.43 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Crash
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 5, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Either your video ram has problems or your video card doesn't like to run with a 40MHz bus (PCI is rated fo 33MHz. Running the CPU at 40*3MHz makes the whole PCI bus to run at 40MHz)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 5, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sometimes Windows 9x changes your monitor refresh rate when you change resolutions, sometimes to refresh rates not supported by the monitor. But in such a case, the LCD monitor just goes blank, or when I reset, I get a screen similar to that you've shown above. I battled an issue with this yesterday. Probably is not your issue though. Try setting the FSB to 33 Mhz just to see if the issue is replicated. Also set your cache/RAM wait states to a higher value.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 3 of 5, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The beeps indicate something "worse" than too high a bus seed.
I can't remember hearing beeps due to overclocking the front side bus... the system just doesn't start up and remains silent. You're getting beeps after the system crashes?

As for the color depth issue - the chipset may be incompatible with your card. I had a Virge/DX on an older chipset(Pentium though) and it does not work once drivers are installed, same when I insert the Matrox Millenium II. Back in 95 when the Mystique was new I had a similar problem - once the drivers were installed or extended functionality was set... the system hung/crashed.

Reply 4 of 5, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have also run into issues like this when using too new of drivers, like drivers which were written with the Pentium in mind. Often, but not always, the issue could be remedied by trying out every old driver release and finding the one which works. For example, there was only one or two driver releases out of dozens in which the GF2 would work on a 486. I realise that is an extreme example, but perhaps you are experiencing a similar problem?

Your issue could also be with some PCI BIOS features set. Try changing them.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 5 of 5, by bassybeats

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm aware this is a super old thread but there was nobody else that had this board. Does the OP have the Bios for this board? I have the same board and am struggling to find it and get the board booting at all.