VOGONS

Rarest CPUs?

Topic actions

Reply 400 of 442, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought I had a goldtop winchip 2 at one point, but it passed out of memory, probably find some cave critter mooning over it in the lower levels someday.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 402 of 442, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ChrisK wrote on 2024-03-01, 09:15:

Has anyone seen a Pentium 66 non-goldcap in the wild?
Or a Pentium 100 with goldcap?
Can't decide which one's more rare...

I have both.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 403 of 442, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nexxen wrote on 2024-03-01, 10:46:
ChrisK wrote on 2024-03-01, 09:15:

Has anyone seen a Pentium 66 non-goldcap in the wild?
Or a Pentium 100 with goldcap?
Can't decide which one's more rare...

I have both.

I have 100 Gold as well. Still searching for a 66 non-gold

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 405 of 442, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ChrisK wrote on 2024-03-01, 11:57:

I've only seen a golden P100 for sale once in the last 3-4 years.
Unfortunately didn't grab one as the price was ok'ish, ~40 EUR iirc.

Sounds reasonable, I think I paid 40US$ some 6 years ago

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 406 of 442, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought four P100 gold tops that have never been used. Price was a little high. I think around $50 -60 each.
I think I saw a P66 ceramic for sale in China recently, but the price was absurd.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 407 of 442, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought I saw a gold top 120 once upon a time, but since I am not finding reference to them easily, wondering if I imagined it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 408 of 442, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Am I the only one here who finds it completely unashamed and reckless to combine the words "four" "P100 gold tops" and "never used" in one and the same sentence?

(BIG 😉, but still a bit jealous)

Reply 409 of 442, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm how about a FDIV bugged P60 with the ultra rare Intel Pentium Processor label in Gold Top ? (Nearly all Pentiums dont include the word Processor on the IHS !)

Last one I saw went for an insane amount of money .. bet it was an oiler collecting rare CPUs.

Hopefully it was a museum buying it.

Reply 410 of 442, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They're uncommon, but hardly rare.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 411 of 442, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2024-03-01, 20:47:

They're uncommon, but hardly rare.

People say this but its all relative to where you live, here in Australia I have seen exactly one .. the one I mentioned above. I have never seen another with that Processor label, I doubt I will again. The FDIV bugged versions are uncommon and I have seen a number of them, not sure if they are worth grabbing one for the collection.

Now if you told me a Oxyuranus microlepidotus was unobtanium where you lived I would believe you, they are not rare here but are uncommon, again relative rarity.

Reply 412 of 442, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I see what you're saying. Most that I have seen have been sold outside the UK as well. I see the global market, rather than local 😀

I think most I've seen were sold in the US.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 413 of 442, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Over the time I ran across some of them.
But even here, "mid continental Europe", you mostly see the non FDIV bugged gold tops. SX948 to be exact.
Maybe it is because the early ones got replaced with FDIV clean variants later on or they weren't sold here that much at all. Dunno.

I can remember my parents buying a new 486DX2-66 system in late 1996 for a relatively high price. I don't recall the exact offset to a Pentium system back then, but as release of Pentium 60 was 1993 I can just speculate them costing you a kidney and a half at that time. When they finally became affordable some years later they must have already been replaced by early socket 5 systems.
Sometimes I wonder why there are so many P60 to find at all since socket 4 must have been a dead end right from the beginning.

Reply 414 of 442, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ChrisK wrote on 2024-03-05, 11:06:

Sometimes I wonder why there are so many P60 to find at all since socket 4 must have been a dead end right from the beginning.

For "no-compromise" workstations or servers maybe, albeit at the compromise of not going all the way to 66 MHz, which was probably crazily more expensive?

Reply 415 of 442, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H3nrik V! wrote on 2024-03-05, 11:48:
ChrisK wrote on 2024-03-05, 11:06:

For "no-compromise" workstations or servers maybe, albeit at the compromise of not going all the way to 66 MHz, which was probably crazily more expensive?

I’ve often wondered the ratio of p60 to p66 sales, must have been 5:1 or something stupid for 6mhz

Reply 416 of 442, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In 93 and 94 maybe, many more P60 selling... but then I wonder if they had a glut of P66 and they got sold off cheap enough for a lot of people with 60 to spring for a 66 in 95 or so, putting a lot of P60s on shelves, and then again when the Socket 4 overdrive came out. Because I think the production of socket 4 motherboards tanked real quick so there were not a lot of opportunity for the P60s sitting idle to be soaked up. I think there ended up a glut of the overdrives too, there was some point late 90s where I was actually looking for a socket 4 board cheap because I could get hold of an overdrive for peanuts... a couple of years later when I landed a socket 4 system for pocket change at a yard sale all the overdrives had "gone away" again.

Reply 417 of 442, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-03-05, 14:41:

In 93 and 94 maybe, many more P60 selling... but then I wonder if they had a glut of P66 and they got sold off cheap enough for a lot of people with 60 to spring for a 66 in 95 or so, putting a lot of P60s on shelves, and then again when the Socket 4 overdrive came out. Because I think the production of socket 4 motherboards tanked real quick so there were not a lot of opportunity for the P60s sitting idle to be soaked up. I think there ended up a glut of the overdrives too, there was some point late 90s where I was actually looking for a socket 4 board cheap because I could get hold of an overdrive for peanuts... a couple of years later when I landed a socket 4 system for pocket change at a yard sale all the overdrives had "gone away" again.

Socket 4 was a relatively short lived and had strong competition from Socket 3 and Socket 5 for its entire run. The fdiv bug didn’t help either. I think it’s getting hard to find the boards.

That reminds me about socket 6. I’ve never seen one.

Does anyone here have a socket 6 486 cpu?

Reply 418 of 442, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
douglar wrote on 2024-03-06, 01:31:
Socket 4 was a relatively short lived and had strong competition from Socket 3 and Socket 5 for its entire run. The fdiv bug di […]
Show full quote
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-03-05, 14:41:

Socket 4 was a relatively short lived and had strong competition from Socket 3 and Socket 5 for its entire run. The fdiv bug didn’t help either. I think it’s getting hard to find the boards.

That reminds me about socket 6. I’ve never seen one.

Does anyone here have a socket 6 486 cpu?

From what I can find all socket 6 did was add two more pins to socket 3 and it was only meant for the DX4/DX4 Overdrive 3.3v CPUs, my guess was Intel doing Intel things again and solving problems that didnt exist and they had to create to sell boards.

Thank GOD the other fabs just ignored it, Intel at that time did some boneheadded things in an attempt to force other fabs off their platforms.

Reply 419 of 442, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rmay635703 wrote on 2024-03-05, 14:25:

I’ve often wondered the ratio of p60 to p66 sales, must have been 5:1 or something stupid for 6mhz

If you read through the old magazines, you'll notice that they mostly advised passing on the P66 and just going with the P60. Most of the P60 systems were performing at about the same level of as the P66, sometimes even outperforming them. There were only a couple vendors that offered systems with high bandwidth cache and memory. Most of the others just added a tonne of wait states killing the benefit of a 66MHz bus. 66MHz bus only became desirable when the FX chipset came out.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium