Rarest CPUs?

Topic actions

Reply 440 of 442, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Los Pebos wrote on 2024-03-13, 07:29:

What about the Athlon 1400 Thunderbird, with a 100 MHz FSB (serial A1400AMS3B, not C which is the 133 MHz FSB one)? I’m having a headache finding one and it was an old dream as I wanted to update my motherboard at its best when I was younger (an old Abit KT7, not KT7A).
I know it’s a mass product bit only a few found their way through their client, I believe, as the 133-MHz chipsets and the high-clock Duron arrived at the same time.

I have that exact CPU, bought it off Evilbay in April last year for 30 USD, bought it for a build that I haven't gotten around to doing yet.

Reply 441 of 442, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-03-13, 14:12:
Los Pebos wrote on 2024-03-13, 07:29:

What about the Athlon 1400 Thunderbird, with a 100 MHz FSB (serial A1400AMS3B, not C which is the 133 MHz FSB one)? I’m having a headache finding one and it was an old dream as I wanted to update my motherboard at its best when I was younger (an old Abit KT7, not KT7A).
I know it’s a mass product bit only a few found their way through their client, I believe, as the 133-MHz chipsets and the high-clock Duron arrived at the same time.

I have that exact CPU, bought it off Evilbay in April last year for 30 USD, bought it for a build that I haven't gotten around to doing yet.

A thing that may have made them less popular in the day also was that the earlier motherboards, the ones that couldn't run 133 officially, often didn't implement support for multipliers over 12.5x correctly. So they were not an upgrade for every 100Mhz board. Some people were wanting them for the early DDR200 boards though. However the core design and process were bouncing off physical limits at 1500, so pushing them any was not on the cards. I think many might have gone for a 1.1 Tbred and eased their FSB up to 124. ... the Duron Morgan followed in months.... but also had the same problem with earlier boards, if BIOS was updated to support new core, still might not support 13X multi of the 1300 "out of the box". However, due to being based off Palomino and the cache-stration being not as severe on Durons as Celerons, the performance of a Morgan might be about 5% ahead of Tbred at same clock, where full pally was 10%.

But also a rarer one might be the Morgan core Duron at 1400, they never seemed to be for sale very widely, DHD1400AMT1B and you lose sight of them amongst the later 1400 Applebred/Appalbred core. (Appaloosa derived from Thorougbred)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 442 of 442, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NostalgicAslinger wrote on 2024-03-13, 12:54:
Thanks for the info! So the yield quality was not so bad for the P5 core. Maybe the very eralier ones with the FDIV Bug need mor […]
Show full quote
amadeus777999 wrote on 2024-03-12, 09:39:

All P60 cpus that I have tested worked at 66mhz without a voltage raise(no matter if the VRM section was installed or not).

Thanks for the info! So the yield quality was not so bad for the P5 core.
Maybe the very eralier ones with the FDIV Bug need more voltage with 66MHz, because it was reported again and again how bad the yield rate was with the first Pentium...
It is actually nonsensical that 5.15V is then required for 66MHz clock, because the waste heat of the P5 is not that low either.

All nine 60mhz cpus I tested over the years ran flawlessly at 66mhz no matter the board(generic Intel or custom). This could be due to them being a later SX948 variant but one had the fdiv bug so it must have been earlier. (SX948s are, by now, nearly all that's left of the early Pentiums)

I had one cpu at 75 rock solid and flimsily at 80mhz - this was done via a board that supported clock crystals(unfortunately the board in question had very conservative stock timings).
At 75mhz the original Pentium did pretty well in build engine games.