IMG_3937.JPG
Filename
IMG_3937.JPG
File size
2.22 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

It's a 1995 PS/2 model, so one thing let to another and I finally got an excuse to build myself an ATX system. Up until now I've only been building AT/XT stuff and never really got faster than Pentium Pro/Super Socket 7.

So I decided that I would still like to have an ISA slot which pretty much means Slot 1/440BX. So, next step is the motherboard:

2017-12-18%2021.47.14.jpg
Filename
2017-12-18%2021.47.14.jpg
File size
3.9 MiB
Views
File license

It's an Asus P3B-F rev 1.04. One thing that surprised me is that this board actually has a jumperless mode. It's just that all reviews of Abit motherboards mention their ability to set frequencies/voltage through BIOS, but it's kind of taken for granted with Asus.

Next step, a Voodoo 3

JBjdCPv.jpg
Filename
JBjdCPv.jpg
File size
2.1 MiB
Views
File license

It's a PowerColor EvilKing 3 Pro, an AGP version of V3-3000 with 16MB of RAM.

Next, a Diamond Monster Sound MX300 — I forgot to take a photo. 😊

The final touch is an InWin H500 desktop ATX case. I have a thing for desktop builds and I really like this case:

2017-12-21 11.16.13.jpg
Filename
2017-12-21 11.16.13.jpg
File size
2.45 MiB
Views
File license

So, for now the specs are:

Pentium 3@500 MHz (100MHz FSB)
384MB DDR RAM
Voodoo 3
Diamond Monster Sound MX300
3COM 3C905 NIC
80GB HDD
a combo CD-RW drive

You can also see a Roland SC-55 and a Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro joystick in the photo above.

Overall, ATX seems infinitely easier to build compared to any AT system I've ever worked on. It really took me maybe 15 minutes to get the system up and running with literally zero trial and error.

Right now I want to play some Diablo 2, Quake 3 and UT99 on this machine and also try some 9x games like Sanitarium, Outcast, Sacrifice and Giants: Citizen Kabuto. Then there are several upgrade paths:

1) add a SoundBlaster 16 CT2230 connected to SC-55 for better sound in late DOS games;
2) add a DVD drive and a Creative DXR2 to play a DVD version of Wing Commander IV;
3) upgrade to 133 MHz FSB. I have two CPUs for that — a Pentium 3@600 and a Pentium 3@733. Then there is a question of AGP. Running the system at 133MHz will basically mean overclocking the AGP card, and I don't really want to stress my Voodoo. So there are several options — using a PCI card (I have the very same card in PCI version), or switching to an Nvidia TNT2 or GeForce 2 + Voodoo 2 SLI. So far I'm not sure I really need more performance out of this machine.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 1 of 35, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice! For some reason, I really like this a lot. The beige desktop case and the Model M certainly help, though 😀

jheronimus wrote:

So I decided that I would still like to have an ISA slot which pretty much means Slot 1/440BX.

Not necessarily. I have a Gigabyte Socket A motherboard with two (!) ISA slots in my possession. Still deciding on what to do with it, though, and if I really need a >1 GHz Thunderbird for DOS games :p

Reply 3 of 35, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
harddrivespin wrote:

Slot A and Socket A motherboards alike do sometimes have ISA slots, so Slot 1 isn't the latest!

What is a good Socket A board with ISA that will run Athlon XP CPUs? Never came across one.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 4 of 35, by harddrivespin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

They're not super common, but one like this (aware of the lack of AGP) https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F … 0296386.jpg&f=1 might do. Either way they're uncommon and you'd have to be quite patient to find one.

Reply 5 of 35, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oerk wrote:

Nice! For some reason, I really like this a lot. The beige desktop case and the Model M certainly help, though 😀

Yes, the case is pretty awesome. For some reason I thought it would be bigger, but even as it is it's a lot easier to work with compared to a baby AT desktop cases. There is just a lot of space inside.

Not necessarily. I have a Gigabyte Socket A motherboard with two (!) ISA slots in my possession. Still deciding on what to do with it, though, and if I really need a >1 GHz Thunderbird for DOS games :p

Of course. There are also faster Intel options with ISA. So my phrasing is probably wrong — I was more refering to the fact that 440BX seems to be the "default" choice because it's cheap, reliable and easy to find.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 6 of 35, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
harddrivespin wrote:

They're not super common, but one like this (aware of the lack of AGP) https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F … 0296386.jpg&f=1 might do. Either way they're uncommon and you'd have to be quite patient to find one.

No AGP is OK, I have a Radeon 9250 for just this kind of thing. But I wonder if the ISA slot is a real master and can do real DOS on a board like this.

InWin cases are the best ATX cases ever made.. I love the case OP.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 7 of 35, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
harddrivespin wrote:

Slot A and Socket A motherboards alike do sometimes have ISA slots, so Slot 1 isn't the latest!

What is a good Socket A board with ISA that will run Athlon XP CPUs? Never came across one.

Abit KT7A will run an Athlon XP and has a ISA Slot.

Reply 8 of 35, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice system but then its no secret I like Slot 1 based systems! Never did like the sideways floppy though, Sideways Gotek I probably wouldn't mind. (Not that I use disks much anyway now)
ISA sound and the Voodoo 3 make a awesome fast DOS PC, and pretty decent Win9x Glide PC as well.

I'm not sure I would bother with the 133FSB overclock, I have a 600Mhz running 100 FSB and it plays pretty much all my games up to GTA3, (Which is ok to run on my XP PC by my rules)

Reply 9 of 35, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

I'm not sure I would bother with the 133FSB overclock, I have a 600Mhz running 100 FSB and it plays pretty much all my games up to GTA3, (Which is ok to run on my XP PC by my rules)

That is true, actually. I've been playing Quake 3 Arena at 800x600@max settings, Diablo 2 and Sacrifice. So far the performance has been great and I don't really have any need for additional horsepower

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 10 of 35, by martin939

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As Bancho already mentioned, Abit KT7/KT7 Raid/KT7A have an ISA slot. Main issue with those boards are the caps, I have a KT7R with literally every single cap leaking.

Regarding that ATX case, is it from the same InWin as these: https://uae.microless.com/cdn/products/30120-hi.jpg ?

Reply 11 of 35, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
martin939 wrote:

Regarding that ATX case, is it from the same InWin as these: https://uae.microless.com/cdn/products/30120-hi.jpg ?

Yes. I think, the 500 series is roughly from early Pentium 4 era and was quite popular at the time. Haven't been able to find an exact release announcement, though.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 12 of 35, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A bit off-topic here, but I just realised that some ATX Socket 7 boards actually don't use jumpers as well. Namely, ABIT AB-AX5 allows configuring frequencies through software. I wonder if there is a Super Socket 7 board that can do this as well — that would kind of be a dream board for me.

This P3B-F is my first ATX "retro" board, and I must say I am thoroughly impressed by the whole jumperless thing.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 13 of 35, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great build! Lots of fun to be had there but it’s worth having a PIII for Sanitarium alone - what a great game.

I have a very similar machine but am running a 1GHz socket 370 chip @ 133FSB - could you expand on why this means my Voodoo3 3500 is being overclocked? I’m a child in such matters.

Thanks!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 14 of 35, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@badmojo

i440BX chipset doesn't have a 1/2 divider for AGP, only 1/1 or 2/3. At 66MHz or 100MHz FSB it's fine, but at 133MHz FSB, the AGP runs at 83-something MHz instead of 66MHz. In fact, i440BX was never rated for 133MHz even though it's perfectly ok at that speed (except for the AGP)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 15 of 35, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

Great build! Lots of fun to be had there but it’s worth having a PIII for Sanitarium alone - what a great game.

Unfortunately I can't run Sanitarium for some reason — it just crashes after the starting scene with no error message. Maybe I'm using too modern DirectX (it 8.0, I think). I'll have to investigate this further.

I have a very similar machine but am running a 1GHz socket 370 chip @ 133FSB - could you expand on why this means my Voodoo3 3500 is being overclocked? I’m a child in such matters.

From what I've read, the issue is the following: running FSB at 133MHz means that both AGP and PCI have to run at 133 MHz. PCI can run at FSB/4 (133/4=33 which is normal for it). AGP can only run at FSB/1 and FSB/(2/3). AGP is supposed to run at 66 MHz, and so these settings are okay for 100MHz FSB (100/(2/3)=66) but not for 133 (133/(2/3)=89). So you have AGP running at 89 MHz which can lead at least to stability issues. I'm not exactly sure if it constitutes "overclocking", but I fear that it can put additional stress on the Voodoo.

Hence, I was thinking of switching to NVIDIA TNT2 or GeForce 2 in the AGP slot (since they are cheap and common) and Voodoo 2 in SLI (since PCI functions at normal frequency at 133MHz FSB). I have two V2 cards, I just need to make/buy an SLI bridge.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 16 of 35, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe there were tests done back in the day to see what cards can handle the 89 MHz AGP result from the dividers available for 133 MHz FSB. I think the conclusion was that the Voodoo series of cards were fine. There may have been an assumption made at the time (for reasons that are either nebulous guessing or legitimate analysis - I can't remember) that the fact the Voodoo cards never fully latched on to AGP and instead kinda "slid over" from PCI allowed for a bit more wiggle room on that spec.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 17 of 35, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What is a good Socket A board with ISA that will run Athlon XP CPUs

Chaintech 7AJA2/100. Thoroughbred-B support, usually comes with C-Media 8738 chipset (SB compatible). Not 100% sure, but I think Barton is supported too.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 18 of 35, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jheronimus wrote:

Unfortunately I can't run Sanitarium for some reason — it just crashes after the starting scene with no error message. Maybe I'm using too modern DirectX (it 8.0, I think). I'll have to investigate this further.

Have you tried the patch? I think I had that issue too initially - I've attached the copy I have.

And yes regarding the Voodoo3 and the 133FSB - I've been running that machine for a couple of years now and have had no issues; the Voodoo3 is more stable and compatible than the Geforce2 Ultra I had in there previously I think. It gets hot tho so I've added a fan to its passive cooler.

Attachments

• Filename
    sanipatch1.exe
    File size
    79.5 KiB
    Downloads
    52 downloads
    File license

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 19 of 35, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Voodoo 3 can't go beyond 133mhz FSB on 440BX motherboard and GeForce 2 usually can handle 150mhz with sideband adressing disabled.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.