VOGONS

First post, by harddrivespin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am aware dual 386 mobos exist as well as dual Pentium mobos, but anyone know of dual 486 mobos and if so how rare are they? I'd imagine pretty rare because IIRC WinNT 3.5 was the first Windows release that could make use of dual processors and by that time it was All about the Pentiums.

Reply 2 of 7, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

...and that weird V-tech Platinum system that nobody has the second CPU card for.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 3 of 7, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
harddrivespin wrote:

by that time it was All about the Pentiums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpMvS1Q1sos

sorry. I couldn't resist.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 4 of 7, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've never seen one, but I guess they could exist.

Multiple 486s, now THAT would be a useless rig today. It's already useless enough to have multiple Pentium Pros for most apps, or even Slot 1/2 CPUs, but a dual Socket 3 board, Well you could run NT, and a few low end flavours of Linux.

Reply 5 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ampera wrote:

Multiple 486s, now THAT would be a useless rig today. It's already useless enough to have multiple Pentium Pros for most apps, or even Slot 1/2 CPUs, but a dual Socket 3 board, Well you could run NT, and a few low end flavours of Linux.

Take that back! not useless at all! that 2nd CPU is doing a good job reducing my heating bill (haven't seen the electric bill yet, shh!)

Pretty sure I saw a duel 486 here at least once!

this is what I think of when someone says old systems with multiple CPU's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RitHgCBNrNs

Reply 6 of 7, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:
Take that back! not useless at all! that 2nd CPU is doing a good job reducing my heating bill (haven't seen the electric bill ye […]
Show full quote
Ampera wrote:

Take that back! not useless at all! that 2nd CPU is doing a good job reducing my heating bill (haven't seen the electric bill yet, shh!)

Pretty sure I saw a duel 486 here at least once!

this is what I think of when someone says old systems with multiple CPU's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RitHgCBNrNs

Nobody said being useless was a bad thing. If that was the case, then the role of United States President wouldn't even exist.

Reply 7 of 7, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Compaq Proliant 4000 motherboard that can take up to four CPU cards. Got 3 486 DX33 cards and is searching for a fourth to make a Quad 486. Useless and awsome 😊