VOGONS

First post, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quick question regarding the 3.7V Lithium TCL barrel BIOS batteries.

So, the big advantage of this type of battery is obviously its longevity as they do hold (for a BIOS battery) a quite tremendous amount of current (~2000mAh). These batteries have a safety diode/aequivalent built into the battery to prevent recharging. After 25+ years at the latest or so, they, too, need a replacement, though.

Now there are various routes to go if it comes to a replacement. (1] Go original route 2] Use a coin battery instead (if 3V is enough in that case, differs from board to board) or 3] Using AA or AAA batteries instead (either 2 for 3V, or 3 for 4.5V, whatever is better for the board, as in fits the ranges needed more precisely))

When it comes to using either (non-rechargeable) button cells or AA/AAA batteries, it is heavily recommended to use a diode in front of the "+" strain in order to make sure the non-rechargeable battery of your choice is not slowly charged while the PC is running by "backward-currents" going back into the battery.

Now here's the question..: If I were to use rechargeable (for example Ni-Mh AAs) instead, wouldn't I be hitting two sticks with one stone? As in 1] Three rechargeable AAAs would result in 3.6V rather than 4.5V (1.2V per cell in contrast to 1.5V per cell), which would be much closer to the desired voltage) and 2] Wouldn't using rechargeable batteries enable me to skip putting in some kind of diode to protect them against recharging, as they are rechargeable?

(In most cases, there is no small backwards-current, but it's still better to be on the safe side)

Reply 2 of 3, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sure, you can use NiMh rechargeables but their capacity is extremely large for this application.
1. I'm wondering ír they will ever charge completely
2. Their selfdischarge rate is much higher than what the RTC pulls
3. Cost

I'd just use standard batteries, strictly outside of the case.

Reply 3 of 3, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elod wrote:

I'd just use standard batteries, strictly outside of the case.

The problem with that is that you would need some kind of backcurrent protection, e.g. a diode, etc., as these batteries do not want to be recharged, even a little bit.

Also I found a nice place for them inside the back compartment where the memory expansion board would be attached. It is basically outside of the case now.
😀