VOGONS

First post, by Naibas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a AOpen AP53 (with a Pentium 120 CPU), and there are three pins that the manual describes as "Break Switch (Turbo Switch)". There doesn't appear to be any explanation in the manual as to what it actually does, if anything. I'm familiar with Turbo switches, but when I connect a switch to the indicated pins, nothing changes. Meanwhile there is also a "Green Mode LED (Turbo LED)", but that remains lit on no matter what I do to the Break/Turbo Switch pins.

I don't have a benchmark handy, but with Doom running in demo mode, I didn't notice any change in the framerate with the Break/Turbo Switch pins open or jumped.

Anyone know why this does nothing? And why it is alternate called a "Break Switch"?

Reply 2 of 4, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Doom limits to 35 fps, if the turbo switch changes FSB from 60 to 50 MHz you won't see a difference in Doom.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 3 of 4, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm fairly certain that header is intended for debugging purposes. I have a baby s7 board with one as well labeled turbo.

I'll see if i can get more info on that one and post back.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 4 of 4, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My 486 has a led header labeled green mode and a switch also called green mode.
The switch has this warning

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Trigger Once Green Mod […]
Show full quote

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trigger Once Green Mode
Trigger Again Normal Operation
==================================================
This is a toggle switch so please do not keep this jumper shorted or else the system will have a problem waking up or booting after a reset. For this reason, do not use the Turbo button on the system chassis for this switch, since one may forget to release the button after triggering the system into green mode.

So i guess it is some power saving feature, not a turbo button(which my 486 board also have)