VOGONS

First post, by muon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Recently I've received this board. I have some questions about it:

1.- The mainboard has jumpers and two array of resistor for CPU configuration. I've never seen before. I've marked with arrows the "resistors" Does anybody know where I can get them?

Pin_resistor.jpg

2.- I would like to updated the BIOS. My mainboard has AF51 and I got Af54S BIOS version. Do I need to flash a new chip?

3.- Cache chips: where I can get them?

Regards

Reply 1 of 11, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It looks like you have a UV erasable BIOS (EPROM). You need an EEPROM to flash the BIOS.

My MS-4144 has a newer PCB revision and I like to use the AWARD version of the BIOS because it can be moddified to allow for PS/2 mouse support.

I use 1024K in my board. Look for chips 9x ISSI IS61C1024-10 or -12 or -15. Check ebay, alibaba, aliexpress, or utsource.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 2 of 11, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For the missing resistor pack, i just use a bent wire between the slots. If I recall correctly, the Am5x86 requirement is to have the outermost socket with pins 1&2 shorted, pins 3&4 shorted, 5&6 shorted, and 7&8 shorted. I'll have to check my physical board though.

Reply 3 of 11, by muon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:

It looks like you have a UV erasable BIOS (EPROM). You need an EEPROM to flash the BIOS.

My MS-4144 has a newer PCB revision and I like to use the AWARD version of the BIOS because it can be moddified to allow for PS/2 mouse support.

I use 1024K in my board. Look for chips 9x ISSI IS61C1024-10 or -12 or -15. Check ebay, alibaba, aliexpress, or utsource.

The BIOS rom file is only 128K

I'm Sorry if is a stupid question, Is it possible to use a 1024K EPROM chip?

Regards

Reply 4 of 11, by muon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:

For the missing resistor pack, i just use a bent wire between the slots. If I recall correctly, the Am5x86 requirement is to have the outermost socket with pins 1&2 shorted, pins 3&4 shorted, 5&6 shorted, and 7&8 shorted. I'll have to check my physical board though.

I understand that the "resistor pack" is NOT a "resistor pack". It should be called "connectors pack" Isn't it?

Reply 6 of 11, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Eprom and EEprom chips that end in 1001, 1024 are 128k chips. There are 8 bits to a byte.

A 1MB eprom is a 27c800 or 27c080 and is way to big (long) for that socket.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 7 of 11, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have enclosed a photo of how I have connected the 0-ohm resister pack. By the way, I have version 2.1 of the board.

For EEPROM chips, some example part numbers of what you need are: W29EE011, AT29C010A, or PH29EE010. The first one should be easy to find.

resistor_pack.jpg
Filename
resistor_pack.jpg
File size
66.32 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 11, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
muon wrote:
feipoa wrote:

I understand that the "resistor pack" is NOT a "resistor pack". It should be called "connectors pack" Isn't it?

If you're searching ebay, try 'resistor network' or 'resistor array'.

Reply 9 of 11, by muon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks everyone for the info
I'm going to some questions more and I'm so sorry if some questions are stupid (or like stupid)

every resistor is a connector; most connectors are resistors;

Perhaps I didn't explain very well. connectors = 0 ohms. For example, jumpers = 0 ohms OR 0-ohm resistor pack = connector too. In any other case (> 0 ohm), resistor pack. I know, I know there is nothing with 0 ohm

About EEPROM chips: Which programmer do you recommend?

Thanks in advanced,
muon