VOGONS

First post, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can anyone tell me which bracket I need to secure a Pentium III (SECC2)? The ones I find are apparently all for Pentium II (SECC). Also, how to get one of these these days?

Reply 2 of 12, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Usually just cutting wedges out of an eraser or something similar, and jamming them down between the CPU cartridge and whatever retention bracket came with the mobo, one on each side. Has worked well so far at least 😀

Reply 4 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Haven't seen many getting mixed in with my results when searching for slot CPU's
Cannibalisation may be your best bet

Reply 6 of 12, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

Found a universal one that works with SECC and SECC2 for 3 bucks. 😀

Oh wow link? or was it a one time deal kind of thing.

I've been running mine without retention brackets, had to resolve no post issues about 2 times now by releasing the processor was falling out of the slot 😒

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 10 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote:

You need it, as there's nothing else that holds the CPU in place. Not using it will give you an unstable system. It's like not pushing the lever on a ZIF socket.

My experience exactly. I've never had my Slot 1 boards manage to boot tower PCs with Slockets without the retention clips for example, they just don't make proper contact with the weight of Socket 370 coolers on them.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 11 of 12, by Dystopia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
derSammler wrote:

You need it, as there's nothing else that holds the CPU in place. Not using it will give you an unstable system. It's like not pushing the lever on a ZIF socket.

My experience exactly. I've never had my Slot 1 boards manage to boot tower PCs with Slockets without the retention clips for example, they just don't make proper contact with the weight of Socket 370 coolers on them.

How big is the cooler you used on that? I've got a Slot 1 PC with a slotket in a tower case running fine without brackets. I'm using a low profile, all copper Star Tech cooler. Runs pretty well.

Reply 12 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dystopia wrote:
appiah4 wrote:
derSammler wrote:

How big is the cooler you used on that? I've got a Slot 1 PC with a slotket in a tower case running fine without brackets. I'm using a low profile, all copper Star Tech cooler. Runs pretty well.

It was a fairly regularly sized Coppermine cooler, not one of the low profile, lightweight ones, but not a Tualatin/Athlon cooler either..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.