VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure if I can explain this properly. A motherboard that I have only used with dos has 9 pin connector for usb and I use backplate for one the expansion slot that has 2 usb ports but the cable from ports only has connection to 8 of the pins. I enable the usb port in bios and I enable usb keyboard support in bios too. It seems an usb keyboard is working, but there is just weird stuff happening like I lose suddenly a display signal while I hear from sounds that game that I am playing is still running. Sometimes there is also strange interference on the screen. Then I switch back to an old keyboard with old big AT connector and I have been running it for 2 hours without noticing anything like that happening. I also have another similar usb backplate with 2 ports, but it has one pin blocked and it is on opposite site as where one of the pins is missing on motherboard so I can't use it.

If you look at here http://pinoutguide.com/Motherboard/usb_2_1_he … er_pinout.shtml you can see a pinout for standard header. 0n my motherboard there is just pins 1-9 and in the connector there and only wires for pins 1-8. Could that be causing the problems or is there something else going on?

Reply 1 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 9th pin is used to avoid puting the header upside-down. However, beware, the pinout on these motherboard often differ to what we have nowadays. Look at the manual of your board to see which pin does wha. On my AT slot 1 I had to swap pins on my USB header

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 8, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

USB header has only 2x 4 pins (5V, D-, D+, GND each). The additional row was added as a key later (pin 9 has no function, it just blocks when trying to connect the cable 180° rotated). Problem is, the pinout changed from USB 1.0 to 1.1 and there was no standard anyway, so you should carefully check if the cable matches with the pinout of the mainboard. A 8-pin cable can have one of the following pinouts:

5V - 5V
D- - D-
D+ - D+
GND - GND

or:

5V - GND
D- - D+
D+ - D-
GND - 5V

Reply 3 of 8, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Motherboard manual is bit strange. It only says pin numbers and they are different than in that pin out guide.
it just says
1 5
2 6
3 7
4 8

So there are 4 pins in first row and 5 pins in second.
There is also a picture of a connector with wire colors. Wires to pins 1 and 5 are red, wires to 2 and 6 are white, wires to 3 and 7 are green and wires to 4, 8 and 9 are black.
Here is a picture of the connector that I used:

20180105_140230_001.jpg
Filename
20180105_140230_001.jpg
File size
2.01 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Because the empty holes are next to the red wires, I left the empty holes hanging outside the header of the motherboard to make sure red wires were in pins 1 and 5.

Reply 4 of 8, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dersammler said:

5V - 5V
D- - D-
D+ - D+
GND - GND

See how this fits the connector on your picture? The 5v - 5v are the reds.....

Normally that would be pin 1 and 5 on your board. But since there are variations with different layouts you have to doublecheck wat +, - and D+ anD- is.
And forget about number 9.

I hope you understand that the header is for 2 usb ports? So one usb port is 5v, ground, 1x Data + and 1x Data -

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 6 of 8, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Your cable fits the first pinout. Whether or not that fits the motherboard is hard to tell. One port would always work, as pins 1 to 4 are the same in both variations. Have you tried both ports? If the keyboard works on both, everything is fine.

Reply 7 of 8, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Only tried using keyboard in the top port, but there was those problems I described in dos. Probably should try to find another keyboard to see if the problem is with the keyboard itself.