VOGONS

First post, by martin8or

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,
I have a DECpc LPv 433dx and I'm wondering if anyone knows any part numbers to try for its cache ram?
It uses 8x 32kx8 and 4x 16kx4 srams. I have tried MB84256-C-10L and CY7C166-15PC in the machine and it just hangs on boot. It does seem to detect the ram in the bios. I have a network card with XT-IDE on it. Would this stop it from working?
Thanks.

Last edited by martin8or on 2018-01-28, 11:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
martin8or wrote:
Hi all, I have a DECpc LPv 433dx and I'm wondering if anyone knows any part numbers to try for its cache ram? It uses 8off 32kx8 […]
Show full quote

Hi all,
I have a DECpc LPv 433dx and I'm wondering if anyone knows any part numbers to try for its cache ram?
It uses 8off 32kx8 and 4off 16kx4 srams. I have tried MB84256-C-10L and CY7C166-15PC in the machine and it just hangs on boot. It does seem to detect the ram in the bios. I have a network card with XT-IDE on it. Would this stop it from working?
Thanks.

I had the 25Mhz SX version and I remember running it without cache cause I didn't find them. Also I remember it was not easy to find compatible ram too.

Reply 2 of 8, by martin8or

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, it took me a few tries to find some ram but the slots are stuffed full now. Seems like they're tricky beasts to set up. It took me a while to get it working with a CF card.
Thanks for your reply.

Reply 3 of 8, by martin8or

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've done some testing and after removing my CF microdrive and Etherlink III card, then installing 3x 4 bit srams and 4x 8 bit srams and setting the jumpers to give 128k cache It worked. I have re-installed the etherlink and microdrive and it seems to work with 128k. It won't work at all with 256k and just hangs in any configuration and it won't enter the bios screen either it locks up on the first bios page and the machine is unresponsive. Well 128k is better than none.

Reply 4 of 8, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What chipset does the board use? It doesn't happen to be a CHiPS PEAK/DM does it? The 386 version states support for 256k in the datasheet, but I have yet to see a board that supports more than 128k, Sadly there was also a 486 version of this chipset, which I believe was popular with OEMs.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 8, by martin8or

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No it doesn't have one of those chipsets.
I may have celebrated too soon as Win3.11 just had a meltdown, something about running in background mode so I'm going to play around just with dos6.22 and see if that works.

Reply 6 of 8, by DarkProdigy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
martin8or wrote on 2018-01-28, 11:15:

Yeah, it took me a few tries to find some ram but the slots are stuffed full now. Seems like they're tricky beasts to set up. It took me a while to get it working with a CF card.
Thanks for your reply.

I'm in the process of setting up the exact same pc with a CF, but with no luck. On the MS DOS 6.22 install it gets to the end of disk #3 and says error reading and writing to disk. How did you get around this please?

Reply 7 of 8, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a DECpc LPv + 425sx with 16 megs of ram, a 486DX2/66 fitted. It is running OS2 v3 with Warp 4 server network client. It works wonderfully well.

Attachments

• dec.jpg
    Filename
    dec.jpg
    File size
    42.14 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Ebelish.jpg
    Filename
    Ebelish.jpg
    File size
    63.86 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • OS2NET00.jpg
    Filename
    OS2NET00.jpg
    File size
    93.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Where.jpg
    Filename
    Where.jpg
    File size
    99.17 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2020-11-18, 08:09. Edited 2 times in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 8 of 8, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The manual is available at http://manx.classiccmp.org/collections/mds-19 … pc/sd000018.pdf Station.org link http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherbo...l#.VT1QL558tkg

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉