VOGONS

Reply 20 of 80, by thehinac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was thinking the same thing until the agp comment. Being I didn't know enough about it I just went with it.
Was looking for 6200's with power connectors. But only found 6200's that were dual gpu. rarely on ebay. Jaton Video-348PCI-Quad nVidia GeForce 6200
6pin power connector. but the reviews on it were mostly compatibility issues. That's if I could find one for sale.

But then again if power is the issue the bad capacitors aren't helping. I will try the cards again after rebuild.

Thanks. 😀

Reply 21 of 80, by thehinac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What lead me down the path of this is;
nvidia's last Windows 9x driver was 81.98. Of the models supported by it is the 6 series. Of those I only found that the 6200 series of them had a pci version.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_6_series

Reply 23 of 80, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow, started to think you were loosing interest. Please PM me if you need to find this gorgeous hardware a new home.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 24 of 80, by thehinac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:

Wow, started to think you were loosing interest. Please PM me if you need to find this gorgeous hardware a new home.

Once I finish making everything perfect in every detail. And I know for a fact everything is working, and have ran burn in tests. I'm probably going to play a few games on it. Get performance numbers, FPS on a few games. Then make a youtube video, take some pictures.

After all that, then I might sell it off to someone who would enjoy the history more than me. For me it's all about the learning during the build. After that it ends up in the massive pile of completed and uncompleted projects in the closet. Like the Dual Sun Ross Sparc 20 replica of the systems that compiled Toy Story, the Nextstation, the replica Apple powerbook duo 270/280c with a 2300 motherboard from Hackers, the list just goes on and on.

I love rebuilds. 😀

Reply 25 of 80, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, you've described the hobby in a nutshell. I think variations in DNA are what enable one person to sell it, while another person simply can't let it go. I'd like to rebench the whole 386-133 MHz regime with dozens of games, so hopefully by the time I get to that point, you'll have reached the "let go" phase of the hobby.

Stick a Voodoo 1 in there and run some early FPS games 😀

Reply 26 of 80, by vmr_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Any chance that PF versions of Nx586 are running with the VLB motherboard?

thehinac - did you re-run any of your earlier tests on different VLB moherboard, or using a different PF version of the processor?

Retro builds & sandbox
IBM XT 5160 | 286 | 386 | 486 | S4 SI5PI AIO & S4 Batman + P60 SX828
S8 & PPro 200 | SS7 FW 5VGF & Asus P5A & AOpen AX59PRO K6-III+ 550MHz
Asus K7M Athlon 1Ghz GDF | Abit SH6 Pentium III 1GHz SL4KL...

Reply 28 of 80, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

thehinac: You have spares of each right, just in case something breaks? If you have at least two VLB boards and two PF CPUs, loosing one won't be too painful?

Reply 30 of 80, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, yes please! The folks over on CPU-World were also wondering the outcome of this combination. If it doesn't work, could you retest, both, the PF110 CPU and the VLB motherboard to ensure that they still work with their respective hardware? I suggest selecting your grubbiest pieces of hardware for the test, yet known working units.

Reply 32 of 80, by vmr_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks thehinac, I don't have a PF CPU to test, but the VLB motherboard works nicely with P90 I got.

Looking forward to a positive answer.

Retro builds & sandbox

Reply 33 of 80, by vmr_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
thehinac wrote:

Got it. Can do. I'll make some video proof of it.

Hi thehinac, any positive outcome from those tests?

Also if you plan to part ways with one of the PF CPUs you have, please let me know - happy to give it a new home.

Retro builds & sandbox

Reply 34 of 80, by thehinac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vmr_ wrote:
thehinac wrote:

Got it. Can do. I'll make some video proof of it.

Hi thehinac, any positive outcome from those tests?

Also if you plan to part ways with one of the PF CPUs you have, please let me know - happy to give it a new home.

Sorry bud, I've only worked on the pci version since I last posted. I'll rebuild the VL soon.

Reply 35 of 80, by thehinac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I finally got it done. It's been on and off again.

I went though (12) PCI video cards to find one that would work.

Ether it wouldn't post, beep at me, lock up, or drivers were to new for the PF110.

I settled on a Creative CT6700 Riva TNT 16MB for the primary.
Dual matching Voodoo2's 12MB
And a AWE32 with two 1MB simms.
Loaded on a 8GB Compact Flash from Sandisk.

For now she's complete. The NexGen PF110 Voodoo2 SLi rig.

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Filename
    Capture2.JPG
    File size
    148.98 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Capture1.JPG
    Filename
    Capture1.JPG
    File size
    127.82 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Capture3.JPG
    Filename
    Capture3.JPG
    File size
    76.59 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 36 of 80, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Everything up to GeForce 4 MX (or Quadro counterpart) should work too.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 37 of 80, by thehinac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Everything up to GeForce 4 MX (or Quadro counterpart) should work too.

Actually the Geforce FX5200 256MB PNY branded, worked perfect until I tried loading the latest drivers. Up tell that point it had no issues.

Well after a quick check the same drivers that worked for Riva TNT have support for the FX5200 also. So I'll pop it in and check it out.

I would have never opened the INF file if you wouldn't have talked about the 4 MX. Thanks man. 😁

Reply 38 of 80, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The GF4 MX400 may offer a slidge edge over the FX on older systems. Re: Best PCI VGA for a K6-III+ But if you're using the Voodoo2, it probably doesn't matter. I use a Voodoo2 in my PF110 system as well.

Reply 39 of 80, by thehinac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:

The GF4 MX400 may offer a slidge edge over the FX on older systems. Re: Best PCI VGA for a K6-III+ But if you're using the Voodoo2, it probably doesn't matter. I use a Voodoo2 in my PF110 system as well.

Gotcha, hmmm... Even at 800x600 I feel I'd be more bus/cpu bound than GPU. Like it wouldn't at some point. But that would take some testing.

Do you have any photos of your rig? I'd love to see the inside of your build!