VOGONS

Reply 80 of 80, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
thehinac wrote on 2021-07-24, 07:33:

Thanks! I just got on ebay and bought the g200 I have 3 other Matrox cards but they didn't work. All different models.

Nah, never got around to finishing that on my PCI spare board. Still want too. It's been sitting on my desk at work for like a year. I'll get around to it eventually. I'm just lazy.

That is curious. Are you running the PCI bus at async 32 MHz? I found that it doesn't work in sync mode for whatever reason.

I received my SOJ sockets today. They are a bit larger than I had hoped. Originally I thought I'd only have to mill holes into the bottom of the socket to sit over the SMD ceramic and tantalum caps on the board, but it appears that the sockets are also too wide, even when placed side-by-side touching. So the touching side of the socket also needs to be run on a belt sander. Here's an image. I have layed 3 SOJ sockets on top of the SRAM chips. The socket on the top was placed directly centre on the SRAM module. Although it looks off centred in the photo because of the camera angle, I can assure you it is centred. I went to put the 4th socket on, but it fell off. So if we were to sand off 0.5 mm from each side, the sockets should fit.

Nexgen_SOJ_sockets_need_grinding_in_both_planar_directions.JPG
Filename
Nexgen_SOJ_sockets_need_grinding_in_both_planar_directions.JPG
File size
188.21 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Then I got to looking at the placement of the other SRAM modules. It looks to me that if the sockets were soldered on that the CPU retaining clip would not be able to be installed. There's only so much of the socket which can be ground away before it becomes too flimsy.

Nexgen_CPU_clip_would_hit_SOJ_sockets.JPG
Filename
Nexgen_CPU_clip_would_hit_SOJ_sockets.JPG
File size
195.73 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.