VOGONS

First post, by muon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi!

I have a problem with a SB AWE64 GOLD (CT4390)

I run the diagnose program and the card pass all test (IRQs, DMAs,..) and it sounds with the 8/16/FM/AWE sounds, but the diagnose doesn't detect any DRAM onboard ¿¿??

Has anybody got the same problem?

I can not play any MIDI files

Thanks in advanced

Reply 2 of 14, by muon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Baoran wrote:

Can you tell specs of your computer?

I've tested the card in two different PCs:

1.- A 486 Class machine: MSI 4144 mainboard - 128MB - Matrox Millennium II PCI - 486DX4-75 and 486DX2/66
2.. A Pentium Class Machine: PC Chips M571 - 256MB - Voodoo 3 2000 PCI - Pentium 233MMX

Reply 4 of 14, by muon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote:

Does Diagnose.exe display a message regarding the onboard memory?

No

"Diagnose" displays:

"Testing Dram memory"...

in screen and it follows with the next test: no red warning screen ...

Reply 5 of 14, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I asked that because in my system it sometimes skips the memory too, but it usually works when I run it second time. I thought it was because of the speed of the computer that it sometimes skipped it.
do you run aweutil in your autoexec.bat?

Reply 7 of 14, by muon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Baoran wrote:

I asked that because in my system it sometimes skips the memory too, but it usually works when I run it second time. I thought it was because of the speed of the computer that it sometimes skipped it.
do you run aweutil in your autoexec.bat?

I didn't know, but I think I run it second and more times

I always get the same: no dram test and no warning screen

When I boot Windows , The screen displays:

"AWE 64G MIDI Synth
Cannot local default synthetizer bank
Not enought simple DRAM to load ...SF2"

Reply 9 of 14, by muon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think - I bet - them memory chips is broken, but

...there is a thing I don't understand: if the memory is out of order (0 bytes) and the card can not load any banks, how it is possible the card pass the AWE test? It sounds very good, equal to my AWE32

Reply 10 of 14, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All AWE cards have an onboard 1MB ROM for the samples. The RAM banks are just a place to load extra, higher quality, soundfonts. They are not mandatory for any AWE features.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 11 of 14, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote:

The RAM banks are just a place to load extra, higher quality, soundfonts. They are not mandatory for any AWE features.

That is wrong. The DRAM is needed to enable GM/GS/MT-32 emulation, as this loads small patches into the RAM.

Reply 12 of 14, by muon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi again!

Without luck!! I cleaned the contacts and I plugged the card in other ISA slot

Now when I pass the diagnose it takes long time displaying the message "Detecting Dram..", but It follows with another test.

Before, I barely had time to read the message.

Reply 13 of 14, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:
dr_st wrote:

The RAM banks are just a place to load extra, higher quality, soundfonts. They are not mandatory for any AWE features.

That is wrong. The DRAM is needed to enable GM/GS/MT-32 emulation, as this loads small patches into the RAM.

Interesting and good to know. So I should say "RAM is not needed for the built-in AWE synth".

You say "small patches", so I imagine that even the 512KB RAM on the AWE64 value is enough for them? Or are there scenarios where you may need more than that?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 14 of 14, by muon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I fixed the issue. The card has got a strike and two cables were in short circuit. I "erased "the short circuit

Pictures without short circuit:

AWE64_1.jpg

😅 😅 😅 😅
AWE64_2.jpg

😅 😅 😅
AWE64_3.jpg

Finally I'm lucky 😁